Advice on Speciality Classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Donald D

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to take some speciality courses as well as AOW, but I'm trying to create a timeline for myself in doing so. I got certified in Dec 2011, had 7 dives in January and planning my next dive trip for April in Florida followed by a dive trip in July in (possibly) Dominica. Once the water gets warm around here, I also plan to at least do a few dives on the weekend. My goal is to do at least 2 trips per year for diving or combining digital photography with diving.

My current plan is to take the following speciality courses before my Dominica trip:
1. Buoyancy
2. Nitrox
3. Digital Photography

Then in September or October for my AOW with the goal of having more dives experience under my belt before AOW Cert.

Am I looking at this wrong? Should I try to also do my AOW before my extended vacation?

Any advice would be helpful...

Try for some specialties that will really add to your skills - Navigation, Limited Viz, etc.

These are things that will make you more versatile and a better diver. As you learn more, read more, do more, ... you will understand how much more there is that you need to become proficient at. Also, before going for deeper dives, learn about dive planning, gas management, and how to handle when things go wrong (because at deeper depths, with the surface further away, you want to know how to handle a problem).

Most look at AOW as a license to dive deeper. Don't rush this, and get comfortable with your skills at the shallower depths, where there is still so much to see.

Have fun, keep learning, and be safe!

It makes sense to complete the AOW before the speciality courses - as the AOW dives are simply Dive #1 from the corresponding specialty courses. That means you can 'credit' those dives if you subsequently take that specialty course (negotiate to save money).

For your AOW, include the PPB, Nitrox and Photo as your optional dives. Then, when you complete the specialty courses later, you'll be able to skip the first dive - which should mean you get a healthy discount on the courses.

It's important to select the right instructor to deliver your courses. The instructor's motivation, experience and breadth of knowledge on the subject is critical to ensure that real development can be made. Some tips:

1) PPB - Whilst any instructor can provide this course, many won't have a high level of competence in helping you develop excellent buoyancy, trim and weighting. Scary but true. Ideally, look for an instructor who is 'tech qualified' and willing to transfer that knowledge into helping you improve your recreational diving core skills. Alternatively, if you aren't bothered about a 'PADI card' - opt to do a 'Fundies' type course instead... that's far more beneficial and takes you to a whole other level of competence.

2) Nitrox - There's not much to teach on this course. You can do it online and just finish the cylinder analysis task in a real dive centre. If you do opt to take it as a 'classroom' course, then find an instructor who's willing to add extra value. There's lots of relevant stuff that can be added to a 'basic' nitrox course, such as; basic blending/compressor intro, precision dive planning and gas management etc.

3) Photography - Again, any instructor can 'sign up' to teach this. I recommend that you investigate potential instructors carefully - be prepared to interview them. If you're going to learn photo - then you need to have an instructor who is highly experienced and capable at underwater photography. Ask to see their 'online gallery'. Ask them how many photos they've had published. Ask them what photo competitions they've entered. Ask them what their 'style' and 'preferences' are. Basically, the instructor should be an avid photographer in their own right. Any avid photographer will have galleries, styles, preferences... and should have

It's a sad (and for many students...shocking) fact that instructors don't need to possess any significant experience or competence to teach these specialty courses. Those that don't will just regurgitate the contents of the (wafer thin) manual and take you on what is essentially a glorified set of fun dives. You need to be very selective in choosing an appropriate instructor, if you desire to make real progress in a specialty area.

I posted more relevant info to your question on this recent thread: PADI's Course Rush

Last edited:
With your experience my suggestion is to park the camera and focus on diving. You cannot do justice the the environment, the safety of you and your buddy and photography. Handling a camera is demanding in all respects with even seasoned diver/photographers among the worst/ most difficult buddies from a mutual aid perspective.

Develop as a diver and when you have a good foundation start in with the camera. The task loading will be be immediately apparent but the demands will drive your dive skills to an even higher plateau.

I have seen many divers lug a camera early, all jazzed with photographing what they see. It's hard on all of the gear and individuals involved. The sights will still be there latter.

Pete

Added: And when you do AOW take dive skill electives, not hobbies lile photography, fish ID and UW basket weaving.

1) PPB - Ideally, look for an instructor who is 'tech qualified' and willing to transfer that knowledge into helping you improve your recreational diving core skills.

I agree, noone has better buoyancy skills than an instructor who frequently dive wrecks and caves

I waited about a year between my OW and AOW classes. I probably had about 40 or so dives between the two so by the time I took AOW I had already been on deep dives (120 ft), night dives, and wreck dives. Probably the only skill/knowledge I improved upon in taking AOW was navigation and using a compass. All in all I don't think AOW was worth taking after waiting a year but because some places may require you have that before they take you to certain dive sites, it's probably wise to go ahead and take it.

As far as speciality classes go, I would say take Nitrox and Rescue. Deep, Wreck, Buoyancy, etc. are all things you can easily learn by just diving or diving with a buddy who has had some experience. PPB may be worth it if you are having trouble with your buoyancy but it's really not that hard to become proficient at with just practice.

I do think a class about uw photography would put you ahead of the learning curve if like what DD said, you sign up with someone who is an accomplished uw photographer themselves.

Anyway, my advice would be to get some diving experience for about a year and then decide if you still need to take certain courses or not. You may find you don't need them and can spend the money toward trips or gear.

It's important to select the right instructor to deliver your courses. The instructor's motivation, experience and breadth of knowledge on the subject is critical . . .

1) PPB - Ideally, look for an instructor who is 'tech qualified' and willing to transfer that knowledge into helping you improve your recreational diving core skills.
2) Nitrox - find an instructor who's willing to add extra value. There's lots of relevant stuff that can be added to a 'basic' nitrox course, such as; basic blending/compressor intro, precision dive planning and gas management etc.
3) Photography - If you're going to learn photo - then you need to have an instructor who is highly experienced and capable at underwater photography. Ask to see their 'online gallery'. Ask them how many photos they've had published. Ask them what photo competitions they've entered. Ask them what their 'style' and 'preferences' are. Basically, the instructor should be an avid photographer in their own right. Any avid photographer will have galleries, styles, preferences... and should have
Very well said, for all three specialities. Almost any course can be taught to 'meet standards', by an instructor with limited exposure to the area. And there are many fine PPB instructors who are not 'tech qualified', the online nitrox course covers the basic content, and many fine DUP instructors have never published.

BUT, these are excellent suggestions for evaluating a potential instructor in each case! And, good instructors would welcome questions about their background, before a student signs up for a course.

Take AOW as soon as your ready. Our LDS does not give any choice in skills. Everyone takes Nav and Deep, those are set by PADI. My LDS sets Night, Altitude, and Peak Performance Buoyancy as the remaining skills/dives. The LDS is run so the dives are done once a month at BH which is a six hour drive. Having ten AOW students doing ten different curriculum's would be impossible (potential of 30 different specialties) for the instructors. They have picked two very good dives and the altitude which IMO can be done while in the bathroom! They did a good job teaching all the requirements. You can add more but that runs extra so the LDS may have 3-6 extra student specialties per month, but not thirty.

Photo was worthless for me. I knew more about photography than the instructors in our area which in this case is not saying much. You may learn more taking a topside class and reading about UW gear, or getting online. Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography The instructors knowledge was limited to 1) set the WB to Underwater, and 2) Set the camera to Program mode. They might have provided basic composition.... maybe. They did know about the equipment that A1 Scuba sold which may be useful to some. You would get the same knowledge from the salesmen.

If you know nothing about UW photography then the class maybe worthwhile. They setup and shot plastic sharks in a pool! The instructor did not know what the Aperture did so that was her level. Steve Frink's classes in Key Largo would be very worthwhile. PADI not so much, unless you have a working pro or amateur enthusiast in your area and they happen to be an instructor.....

Take AOW as soon as your ready. Our LDS does not give any choice in skills. Everyone takes Nav and Deep, those are set by PADI. My LDS sets Night, Altitude, and Peak Performance Buoyancy as the remaining skills/dives. The LDS is run so the dives are done once a month at BH which is a six hour drive. Having ten AOW students doing ten different curriculum's would be impossible (potential of 30 different specialties) for the instructors. They have picked two very good dives and the altitude which IMO can be done while in the bathroom! They did a good job teaching all the requirements. You can add more but that runs extra so the LDS may have 3-6 extra student specialties per month, but not thirty.

Photo was worthless for me. I knew more about photography than the instructors in our area which in this case is not saying much. You may learn more taking a topside class and reading about UW gear, or getting online. Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography The instructors knowledge was limited to 1) set the WB to Underwater, and 2) Set the camera to Program mode. They might have provided basic composition.... maybe. They did know about the equipment that A1 Scuba sold which may be useful to some. You would get the same knowledge from the salesmen.

If you know nothing about UW photography then the class maybe worthwhile. They setup and shot plastic sharks in a pool! The instructor did not know what the Aperture did so that was her level. Steve Frink's classes in Key Largo would be very worthwhile. PADI not so much, unless you have a working pro or amateur enthusiast in your area and they happen to be an instructor.....

Everybody has excellent points. Ron really has it right about the LDS and their offerings. This may dictate what classes are available and set the program for you. I recommend taking your classes at near home. It'll save you some money and then you can enjoy Florida, Dominica, etc.

If you are into Photo...get your hands on an underwater camera and start shooting pictures. You'll need good buoyancy and and the ability to control your body underwater. As you perfect these skills your camerawork will improve. If this becomes your "thing" it is a good idea to find a mentor or someone who takes good pictures to help you. There are lots of places to find good info online as well.

Get your scuba skills down and build on that with core specialties as time permits, e.g. Nav, Deep, Night & Limited Viz, Stress & Rescue, Nitrox, Wreck, PPB, etc.

And remember dive safely and keep diving. This is where you really build your skills.

Most look at AOW as a license to dive deeper. Don't rush this, and get comfortable with your skills at the shallower depths, where there is still so much to see.

Have fun, keep learning, and be safe!

Thanks for the information. I'm not looking at the AOW as a route to go deeper as I currently prefer depths where many of the reefs are located. I want to make sure I'm getting the buoyancy and the "basic" skills (as you have named) that I need to really enjoy this new sport. I also want my son to me part of this experience when he gets older, so I got to make sure I'm doing this the right way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom