Problems w Aeris T3 computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My Aeris T3 loses it's connection to the transmitter 10-15 times during each dive. Is this normal?
Batteries are new.

Any thoughts?

Doug

Hi Capt Doug!

The T3 is a hoseless Air-Integrated computer. As such, your first stage regulator is connected to the computer via a low power radio transmitter. There are a number of known factors that can affect all hoseless transmitters of this type.

The position of your arm can affect reception. The transmitter is directional. If you were to reach down to adjust a fin strap, you could lose reception for a second.

Use of flash cameras is also a known error causing problem.

Keep in mind that the loss of signal is only momentary and does not have any affect on the safety features of the unit. Dive time, air use prediction, nitrogen uptake, preset dive maximums, etc. are all unaffected.

My personal experience with the T3 shows that over literally hundreds of samples taken in a single 40 minute dive (I have mine set to record data every 15 seconds), the most lost signals I have ever seen was 5. Your experience seems to be somewhat more, but as I said, all hoseless DCs have this issue to some extent.

On the other hand, I have one less hose coming out of my 1st stage, no console hanging, and everything I need on my wrist in a big, easy to read format.

The software that comes with the unit is pretty useless, but my wife has a Sherwood Wisdom, a hosed AI computer. It came with the same software.

The question really is do you want a hoseless AI computer? Only you can answer that one!

I also have the same experience as HJeffreyM. I love mine and only lose signal on average 1-2 times per dive. Hand placement as well as transmitter placement is key and if I do any weird movements such as adjust a strap as Jeffrey mentioned it will lose for a second or so. I know it doesn't affect the rest of my safety features and if it were to not come back IE transmitter failure I would only lose my remaining air pressure and at that point thumb the dive. It sounds as if yours is working normally and all is well. You just have to decide if it annoys you that bad to replace it or not.

I have never lost signal to the degree you claim. I have seen mine loose signal a couple times. That's over years of diving but honestly I do not look at it more than a dozen times or so during a dive.

If you are loosing signal to the point its impacting your diving, you may want to have it looked at. Or if the unit is new I would have it looked at. Keep in mind you will loose the computer for a few weeks. Taking it to the dive shop actually slows the process, but you may get a replacement transmitter, computer, or both from the LDS. Depends on your LDS.

I sent it back to Aeris. Great customer service. Transmitter was fine but receiver in wrist unit was defective. They are sending a new one. Thanks for your responses.

Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom