Does the "Sunken Military Craft Act" Prohibit WWII Wreck Penetration in US Waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just told that it prevented penetration of US, German and Italian WWII military vessels in US waters. I did a bit of research and found wording that makes it illegal to "disturb" such a wreck. I'm not sure that swimming through would constitute "disturbing".

I did find a US Coast Guard "Policy" statement here- USCG: Frequently Asked Questions but I'm not sure if "policy" has the weight of law.

Wouldn't a swim through be the same as walking through the U-505 in Chicago? :confused:

Lets just say that the definition of "disturb" has not been made by a court of law.

I would interpret "disturb" to mean relocation of an item that is inside of, or part of, such a wreck.

Unless they are considering it a grave. If it was sunk during war time and their were sailors who died on that spot.

Doesn't matter if it is a "war grave," I do not believe there is any prohibition against diving, or even penetration, just against "disturbing" with the exception of Pearl Harbor, and that's a National Monument rule, I believe.

Different countries have different laws on diving wreck.
As far as I know the MOD of UK have two categories for war graves(please correct me if it is wrong):
1. A "protected" war grave is off-limited to anyone. You cannot dive the wreck undere any circumstances.
2. A "restricted" war grave is off-limited to penetration.
How the Royal Navy enforcing the law is anybody guess.

I am pretty sure all the wrecks at Truk are classified as war graves by Janapese Gov but........

Dive Bikini - no issue with graves!

The problem is that the US Mil has not differentiated between wrecks that were sunk as an act of war or storm and may/or may not have human remains on them vs. wrecks that were sunk as targets or just for disposal and are known to have no remains on-board.

Near me is the U-853 with remains and the submarines USS L-8, USS Bass, and USS Spikefish all sunk as targets after being de-comissioned.

The other thing is that regulations without enforcement is just ink on paper - no one, not the navy, Coast Guard, or the local laww enforcement have the time or money to monitor any of the wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom