Bali in late January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I couldn't resist nearly free air tickets to Bali from Thailand in late January. After, I realized that this isn't an ideal time to come. It's only for 4 nights and I'd love to get 2 full days of diving in. Anyone have a suggestion as to where the best viz is this time of year? Also, are there dryer parts of Bali this time of year?

My thoughts:

Just me and the wife and I'm not sure she'd enjoy all 4 nights in Tulamben otherwise I'd just park it there and take my chances.

Originally I was thinking staying in Sanur and doing two day trips.

Perhaps Padang Bai?

I've never been in the northwestern part of Bali...would that be a good choice?

Thanks All

Hi jdfmail

January is still rainy season but this doesn't stop us diving, it just reduces the visibility at certain dive spots. Tulamben and Amed can suffer from river run-off when there has been very heavy rain.

You don't say what certification level you both are, or how experienced you are, but in general the diving around the East can be easier diving, with plenty for everyone at the Blue Lagoon, Tepekong and Mimpang dive sites. These can easily be reached in day trips from Sanur. Alternatively, if you are very experienced and used to diving in currents, then I'd suggest the Nusa Penida dive sites, like Manta Point, Crystal Bay, Ped, or S.D.

In my opinion the North west diving sites are not as good as the Nusa Penida sites, and its a long way to travel for a day trip for diving (about 3.5 hours from Sanur each way).

If I can be of any further assistance, please message through the website D Scuba Club Bali, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Amanda

First time I hear that the Padangbai sites are easy ! Tepekong and Mimpang can be very challenging in my experience with currents (including washing machines) and thermoclines

I did say 'easier' not 'easy' frogfish!

A good dive guide should not put you into the conditions if the currents are bad, and your experience level was not capable of that site.

A lot of the Bali dive sites experience strong currents; your diving schedule should be tailored to the weakest divers level of comfort.

I just got back from Bali last week and spent the majority of the trip with Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai.

From there we hit up Tulumben, Nusa Penida, Manta Point, Mimpang, Tepekong, Biaha as well as the local Blue Lagoon. All sites were relatively easy and while there are often some quite strong currents, we didn't have any issues an in fact one of our "drift dives" was a leisurely swim due to the lack of current. All the divemasters had a great knowledge of the area and were able to choose the best dive site for the conditions. Visibility at all sites was great (20m minimum) and water temperature was perfect, we were wearing rashies and boardies for a lot of the dives.

Given that this was my first dive outside of Perth waters I was blown away by everything that we saw. Just some of what we saw included: mantas, white tipped reef sharks, barracuda, morays, turtles, frogfish, seahorses... the list goes on.

In terms of weather it rained during the evening and in the early morning but nothing during the day and the temperatures were perfect for being out on the boat and in the water. The best part was, because it is the off season there weren't the crowds that you get during the peak!

I guess I left a few things out...I've dove Bali a few trips already just not in January. I'm very experienced but my wife is less so. She only has a handful of dives but she's getting her AOW soon and we will be diving Sipidan in October. Between now and then she should have an additional 20+ dives.

I'm a photographer but don't want to bore her with only macro dives. A few macro dives and a few reef dives would be a good combo. A little current is ok but if there is more I can hook off the camera and focus on my buddy.

I guess I want to have the best chances at good viz. I'd also prefer the warmer waters of the big island.

In the past I've dove Tulamben, Padang Bai and Nusa Penida areas although I didn't get to do the better dive sites in Padang Bai due to the unfavorable conditions at the time.

If I wanted to dive the NW I would also stay there. I'm not interested in moving around too much. Fly in>transport to preferred dive area>dive>enjoy a few days relaxing anywhere>go home

I know no one can predict the weather and conditions but I can try to improve my odds hopefully.

So I've dove Bali already and will return many times again so I don't need to hit the best...just the best in January :)

Well I have also been to Bali many times, and several times in January/ February - Generally that time has been ok for me except once when it really rained a lot and in addition was quite windy, which made the crossing to Penida impossible and even beach entry at Tulamben very challenging (there was actually one day where it was impossible)... Just so that you know it is a possibility :(

Back
Top Bottom