Caves in Amistand Nat Park??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost.Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone dove Lake Amistand near Del Rio Tx? Accoding to a book I read, there is supposed to be a fairly extensive cave system down around 125 ft.

Dove it once about 3-4 weeks ago, and the group I was with didn't know about any caves.
Supposedly there is a flooded town somewhere in it too, but to be honest unless you bumped into it you wouldn't find it this time of year because of the visibility.
Best vis is around the hydrilla and that still wasn't great.

...if a flooded town is more like a wreck or more like a cave? Or maybe I have to much time on my hands wondering? :jester:
Terry

either way, still counts as an overhead environment, not to be entered without having the correct training and gear setup.

Cave cert to come later, friend of mine just got cert and wants to explore. According to book I found, there appears to be a spring (Goodenough Spring) around 125' with some cave systems. Del Rio closer than Fla anyway. Going to Travis this Sat, he has some leads on caverns there...

to dive. However, from what little I know these are not caves suitable for beginners. This info is second hand but from people that have actually dove the springs. Points to consider:
1) The enterance is hidden behind bushes infested with fishing line and lures.
2) Very high flow; requires crawling hand over hand till the caves opens up some and flow is reduced.
3) Zero vis in the begining. From what I've heard the vis is so bad that one can gets 40 or 50 linear feet into the cave before the ceiling and sides can be seen.
4) I think though not sure that there is fixed line for first 100 feet or so.

Just a few point to ponder,
Sam

P.S. When I get home and if I have the time I'll dig though some old emails and see if I can scare up some actual trip reports.

:eek: Springs? Cave? KEWWWWLLLLLL ! TexasDeepDiver, I'm IANTD Intro To Cave and ADV. Nitrox/Decompression certified. Ive over 30 hours in caves over a 40 dive stretch in the past year. In other words I dive caves ALOT. So far I've been in Cannonball, Bennet, Roubidoux, and Mine LaMotte. I'm working on Normoxic trimix to be done by spring and that sounds perfect for both fun and checkouts.

Buzz me and lets look into this.

Dive safe
Brock

PS- here's a pic of me from last weekend at Mine LaMotte

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom