Morro Bay in Feb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Fierce wind and huge breakers pounded Morro Beach, which may account for the vis we had under the North T-Pier. But sunny skies, extra-friendly residents, and the charm of the city made for another enjoyable trip with Kevin Lee.
This was the first time we saw the colony of ~12 otters that live in the bay. They're accustomed to visits by the glass-bottom boat.

While otter-watching, Kevin tried to entice a ground squirrel into the frame.

At slack tide, diving under the pier is particularly serene, and the quantity and variety of invertebrate life is phenomenal. Ken Bondy and Gary Powell have spent nearly 30 years documenting marine life there, and I'll bet they're still surprised by something new.
A few photos from the pilings; vis 4' and 46 degrees.

Adalaria jannae

Sitting among pink-mouth hydroids, this Catriona columbiana was so small that Phil couldn't see it.

"Pods" reign supreme on the pilings. Next to Flabellina trilineata laying eggs, 2 copepods were working the hydroids. When focus lights hit the pilings, microcrustaceans and tiny shrimp scatter. A macro-lovers dream.

Perhaps a munnid isopod.

A robust Janolus barbarensis.

What great photos. It is amazing what is down under those piers in the bay. I remember catching rock crab off of the piers when my family would vacation at Morro Bay.

Great Pics - Thank you for sharing

Wow! Incredible series! Love the Janolus! So freaking jealous! You need to let me know next time you three are planning a trip up there:blinking: What's the size on the Adalaria jannae pair?

You'd love it there, Frank. We also wish you could have been with us.

The Adalaria were smaller than the diameter of a pencil eraser, appearing only as bumps on the bryozoan. The Catriona was even smaller - more easily seen in the camera monitor! Nudis weren't all that abundant, so we'll be forced :D to return in a couple of months.

From the surrounding flora / fauna, I could tell they were tiny....but damn... Got to love that close focus capability of a dslr :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom