DIY Sidemount Project - Oxycheq Ultra-Lite / OMS 32lb options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ok... I've got a spare OMS 32lb Single Tank Donut wing... and I'm thinking of putting together a lightweight/travel sidemount config with it.

My thinking at the moment is that I'll mate it with an Oxycheq Ultra-Lite nylon BP and hog harness. Maybe stick a nylon butt-plate, with rails, onto the bottom for good measure. I can't get my hands on most of the kit to trial fit etc (will be mail-order when I decide)... so if you have some experience with the kit discussed, please chip in...

Questions:

1) I've not had chance to fiddle with the Oxycheq Ultra-Lite yet. Will it mate will with the OMS (or other non-Oxycheq) wings? The Oxycheq site says that it is not compatible with other brand wings - but I think that is due to cam-slot issues. It'll bolt to a regular (11") backplate though right?

2) The OMS 32lb single bladder should be fine for buoyancy (2x AL80s), but anyone have experience on how it fares used for sidemount? Does it taco a lot? If so, what solutions did you try? At worst, I could look to get it stitched directly to the travel backplate, I guess?

3) Want to put some attachments for the bungees on the back of the wing. Solutions for this?

4) Buttplate... was thinking that DiveRite do a nice one. I'm limited with options here in the Philippines. I might also try some off-set d-rings on the rear crotch strap... but this will limit other options (stowage of reels etc). Sewn onto the bottom of the wing, or onto the backplate?

Another option is to disregard the buttplate and wrap the whole thing together with an OMS Profile adapter. Any experience with these? Is it too wide for a single tank wing? It's got that silly 'wrap over' hood thing to cover the top of the wing.... how does that work for you?

Any other hints, tips and revelations would be awesome, if you've tried something similar!

Cheers,
Andy

Andy -

I don't have any experience with the Oxycheq, but I have an OMS plate, the 32lb donut wing and the profile adaptor – I just never thought of putting them all together – I use the OMS 45lb double wing in my setup. If you have some time I can try to put it all together over the next few days and send you some photos of how it looks.

I do have some advice on the OMS profile adaptor though – the OMS profile adaptor is a fine idea, with some very annoying properties –

1) It’s a real PITA to put it on the rig – getting all the holes to line up and get the screws in place is way more complicated that you would think. I ended up building a jig out of an aluminum bar that aligns the screws and allows me to quickly assemble it – sort of like an STA without the STA on it. I can now change it all out in about 15 minutes.

2) That little piece that folds over the top is absolutely unworkable as designed. The straps they have to secure it are useless. I cut them off and replaced them with some 24 inch buckle straps from REI and I secure it right to the plate. It works much better.

3) Likewise for the straps that are supposed to secure the butt plate to the waist band. I cut those off too and then cut a hole in the butt plate to route my crotch strap though and over the butt plate. This makes reconfiguring much easier, and it negates the need for the straps to the waistband.

4) I attach the bungees to the back plate, not the Profile adaptor. This keeps them routed under the wing and they don’t interfere with anything. The Profile adaptor keeps the wing from taco

After making these modifications, I dove it in Bonaire for a week and loved it.

I’ll can take and send you some photos of all the mods and the rig in a few days if you’d like

I don't have any experience with the Oxycheq, but I have an OMS plate, the 32lb donut wing and the profile adaptor – I just never thought of putting them all together – I use the OMS 45lb double wing in my setup. If you have some time I can try to put it all together over the next few days and send you some photos of how it looks.

Thanks, that'd be great. I've got a double wing (custom divers, but essentially the same as OMS) that I'll be using with deco stages etc. However, most of my diving here in Subic Bay is penetration 'heavy' and deco 'light', at a shallow depth (<130ft). For those dives, my preference is to have a super-slim 'wriggling' configuration... hence thinking about using a single-tank wing.

I'm also considering using my Oxycheq 18lb.. that's so thin it would't need any adaptor... but I like it for general rec diving and don't want to go hacking it up or sewing stuff onto it.

1) It&#8217;s a real PITA to put it on the rig &#8211; getting all the holes to line up and get the screws in place is way more complicated that you would think. I ended up building a jig out of an aluminum bar that aligns the screws and allows me to quickly assemble it &#8211; sort of like an STA without the STA on it. I can now change it all out in about 15 minutes.

Interesting... and good to know. :)

2) That little piece that folds over the top is absolutely unworkable as designed. The straps they have to secure it are useless. I cut them off and replaced them with some 24 inch buckle straps from REI and I secure it right to the plate. It works much better.

I was thinking of just cutting it off - what sort of knock-ons will that have for fitting/function?

All I really want is a nice neat method to stop taco'ing and add a buttplate. The OMS Profile looks like a cheap ($80) way to do that... rather than having to drive around finding a tailor shop that can cope with sewing thick nylon backplates...

3) Likewise for the straps that are supposed to secure the butt plate to the waist band. I cut those off too and then cut a hole in the butt plate to route my crotch strap though and over the butt plate. This makes reconfiguring much easier, and it negates the need for the straps to the waistband.

I had a suspicion that may be the case (routing the crotch strap). How does that impact on the fit/function when you're sat on a dive boat in the rig? Are you sitting on the rails??

4) I attach the bungees to the back plate, not the Profile adaptor. This keeps them routed under the wing and they don&#8217;t interfere with anything. The Profile adaptor keeps the wing from taco

That won't be an option if I go for the travel-lite backpack, but I'll bear it in mind. If you 'drop' a bungee does it make it harder to re-locate?

I&#8217;ll can take and send you some photos of all the mods and the rig in a few days if you&#8217;d like

Cheers.. much appreciated!

I was thinking of just cutting it off - what sort of knock-ons will that have for fitting/function?

I thought about just cutting it off too, but in the end I decided that it would actually negatively impact how well it attached to the back plate and held the wing down. Once you get it attached, it functions quite well. It provides some protection to the top of the wing and it keeps my inflator hose nice and tight. I would leave it on and just make the attachment strap modifications that I’ll send you some pictures of.

All I really want is a nice neat method to stop taco'ing and add a buttplate. The OMS Profile looks like a cheap ($80) way to do that... rather than having to drive around finding a tailor shop that can cope with sewing thick nylon backplates...

It does this very well … although I paid $110 for mine.

I had a suspicion that may be the case (routing the crotch strap). How does that impact on the fit/function when you're sat on a dive boat in the rig? Are you sitting on the rails??

Good question … so far I’ve only been shore diving it or been standing up. I expect you would be sitting on the rails if you sat down with the way I’ve routed the crotch strap. Seems you’ve discovered a minor flaw in my design.

That won't be an option if I go for the travel-lite backpack, but I'll bear it in mind. If you 'drop' a bungee does it make it harder to re-locate?

At times, it has made the bungees harder to find if I do lose them. There are small d-rings on the Profile that you can attach the bungees to that will solve the problem. I’ve chosen to put up with the occasional search for the bungee.

Cheers.. much appreciated!

I'm hoping to get some pictures done tonight.

Back
Top Bottom