Bonne Terre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got my copy of Alert Diver from DAN this week and there is an article about Bonne Terre in there. From the pictures it isn't even remotely what I had imagined when reading about it here on Scubaboard. Now I'm inclined to make it part of my diving bucket list.

Is it actually worth the trip for someone like me who likes pretty fishes and coral reefs but also thinks quarries can be fairly cool?

For those that have dived there and aren't "local" would you go back?

Check out the Mid-West Muck Divers forum

I would hope that you make this trip more than just going to the Mine.
You could do the 2 quarrys on the way to the mine, then hit the great lakes on the way back to DC.
I have been to the mine 2 times in the past 5 years, and most likely will go back in another 5 years.
Its a 5 hour drive for me , and $70.00 a dive at the mine. I can dive in Florida for about the same price except its a 2 tank dive.

Make more of the trip than just the mine if you are coming from such a distance.
Jim Breslin

I would most definitely be doing other things if I was going to add it to the list, just wanted some opinions other than a pretty article in Alert Diver to decide whether or not to even consider doing the dive. $70 per tank? That seems excessive to me, but one of a kind experiences often are, I guess. Is that a rental tank or just a "permit" to dive there on one tank?

I live 50 miles from Bonne Terre and I have not been there yet. I know many local divers that have been there and some really enjoyed the dives, while others did not care much for it at all. I do plan to go as it is somewhat world known and is close to home.

I would most definitely be doing other things if I was going to add it to the list, just wanted some opinions other than a pretty article in Alert Diver to decide whether or not to even consider doing the dive. $70 per tank? That seems excessive to me, but one of a kind experiences often are, I guess. Is that a rental tank or just a "permit" to dive there on one tank?

Hi, The $70.00 is for the dive with a rental al80 of air. You wouldn't want to bring your own tank to the mine. It is about a 1/4 mile walk down into the mine before you get to the water.
Jim Breslin

Hi, The $70.00 is for the dive with a rental al80 of air. You wouldn't want to bring your own tank to the mine. It is about a 1/4 mile walk down into the mine before you get to the water.
Jim Breslin

In addition to the $70 - don't forget about the $15.00 to rent weights - unless you haul yours down in the mine. :)

If you enjoy history, it's a great experience. If that's not your thing, you'll likely be bored. Not many fish or colorful things. But you get a great look of the past. It is a bit of work carrying your wet gear back up out of the place though. I suggest being as much of a minimalist as possible for this one.

I also read the article, and completely agree, I would certainly add this to my diving bucket list! 100+ vis consistent conditions, and the thrill all seem to add up to a great adventure to me!!

Back
Top Bottom