what would you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThatGalJes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I am a very new diver. So is my husband. I told him I want to buddy with someone more expirienced for my first few dives. His feathers got all ruffled. Would you be ok having you SO buddy with someone else? Also, as an expirienced diver, would you be ok buddying with someone new? I could be way off, but I want someone to tell me when I am doing something wrong, and hubby doesn't have enough (any) expirience.

Thanks!

Always an interesting question.....

To paraphrase Jim Lapenta - Your training, and having earned your certification, should have prepared you to plan, and execute a dive in conditions similar to your instruction. Are you looking at conditions different than your training? Did your husband train in similar conditions? Do you not trust his training? Do you not trust yours?

What are the things that concern you in regard to planning and executing a dive with him as your partner? What do you expect a different dive partner to do or be able to do?

Not many answers here, but questions you need to answer....

Rhwestfall is correct in saying that after you become certified you should be able to plan your own dives as long as you are in conditions similar or better than what you trained in. However, I can understand what you are saying from a personal comfort standpoint. Are you diving in a new area? Hiring a guide may be an option if this is the case. Diving with buddies more experienced than you will also help but you are still ultimately responsible for yourself. Hope this helps, dive safe!

So, I am a very new diver. So is my husband. I told him I want to buddy with someone more expirienced for my first few dives. His feathers got all ruffled. Would you be ok having you SO buddy with someone else? Also, as an expirienced diver, would you be ok buddying with someone new? I could be way off, but I want someone to tell me when I am doing something wrong, and hubby doesn't have enough (any) expirience.

Thanks!

BURRRRRR.......Thats cold.....I love you dear but...

Inherent in the original question - IMO - is that the OP wants to lean on someone more experienced. I did too. But I also found out that this is not a good thing. I needed to reinforce my own knowledge of my gear and my skills so that I could count on myself and so that my buddy (my husband) could count on me. I'll be honest - my first dives after getting certified I relied too much on my husband and it really wasn't much fun. Then it seemed one day I said "screw that" and decided to REALLY read my manuals and practice using my computer. Ultimately this is a sport that requires that you have a high level of confidence in your own skills, for your survival and possibly for your buddy's. There's only one way to get that confidence and that's through learning and practicing. Imagine how much fun it would be to point out how your husband might improve his trim or buoyancy - or what those numbers on his dive computer mean! And if what you are looking for is a a more experienced diver to point out how you can improve your skills then take more classes or dive with a group of experienced divers and ask them to watch your finning or trim (or whatever) and make suggestions for improvement. Also, when you go on vacation your husband (presumably) will be your dive buddy so ... you don't want him to be mad at you! :wink:

First thing I did when I got my OW cert was to fly to Ft. Laud and hire a lady instructor to dive with for a few days since I knew that I would probably kill myself otherwise.

Perhaps go on a few dives together with a hired Dive Master so he can shadow you both and only intervene if he thinks you're putting yourself at danger or you've forgotten something.

or go on group dives and dive with a group, mention you're not experienced and someone usually takes you under their wing. If not, follow the DM who is organising it.

N.B. in the OW courses i assist with, invariably we will split couples up and make them have other buddies in the course. It dissolves a lot of conflict.

nothing like having a domestic while 10m under water :eek:

Husbands ans such can be a pain at times. I think your idea is sound. Maybe easier for him to digest if you want to buddy with [gasp!] a girl.

LOL
This one hits kind of close to home.
My wife and I started Scuba together, as something we could do together. I look at her as my built in buddy now. I can think of no better person to be watching my ass in the water.
I have to be honest, if my wife said that to me, I would be hurt beyond what I could say here.

I wouldn't get upset but I don't get jealous either, which occasionally upsets my spouse. (Sometimes you can't win...)

That said, I like the idea of expressing it as diving with another girl or getting a DM to shadow you both as a team rather than just leaning on a more experienced diver. I'd try a couple of dives together first, to be honest. I think you'll find you both, if you communicate pre and post dive, will actually be very capable at assessing your skills and development a very good dive partnership.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom