Hallelujah! Scuba diver rescued after 13 hours at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Pasic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
It was an ordeal at sea that lasted more than 13 hours.
Just after 1 o'clock this morning, a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter spotted a flashing light about two miles off Kaena point. The source of that light was a missing scuba diver.

Scott Folsom says he is grateful to be able to hold his wife and daughters once again and for the efforts of the Coast Guard.

Good job Coast Guard, way to go!!!

Scuba diver rescued after 13 hours at sea | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

Great news the Hollis scooter's light saved him.... Guess his Nautilis Lifeline needs checking.....

Not exactly an advertisement for the Nautilus Lifeline, eh?
It begs the question what caused the device not to function properly: bad battery, uncharged battery, antenna issue, other issue with the electronics, etc.
I wonder how often he checked the device to verify that it was working.
The company that makes the Nautilus Lifeline states that, when not being used in storage, the battery requires recharging once every six months.

Glad he made it back OK.

So was he solo diving, scooter died, and he could not get back to the anchor line? If he had a buddy, he could have towed him back to the anchor line.

It begs the question what caused the device not to function properly: bad battery, uncharged battery, antenna issue, other issue with the electronics, etc.
The company that makes the Nautilus Lifeline states that, when not being used in storage, the battery requires recharging once every six months.

Glad he made it back OK.

Looks like Nautilus is also trying to find out exactly what happened: Nautilus Lifeline and Diver Lost for 13 Hours in Hawaii

Glad he made it back OK.

This caused me to pull my LL out and check it...... 3 months since last charge and it was 98% did the update and full charge and put it back with the gear. Electronics are electronics and if it can fail it will at the worst time....... Hope to get a better read from Capt Mike when he communicates with the diver.

Checking that any electronic devices batteries are fully charged is the same as checking your tank is full of gas before you go diving.

Back
Top Bottom