Necklace Octo holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MG11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Who uses one for normal, non tech diving.

My Air Hog Reg set is setup with a really long hose for tech diving and am planning on using it like tech divers by using the Necklace octo holder and breathing off of the long hosed reg and tucking the excess.

Mike

I do, I am a rec diver, but I plan on moving into tech, so I use that cnfg now

I use one on a "standard" length (maybe 28 inches???) octo because every other keeper I've tried is useless. Plus, it keeps the thing out of the way and not snagging on stuff. I also use a the same length hose on the primary I use.

EDIT: I am not nor do I plan to be a "tech" diver. Some things just make sense, though.

I agree.

Recreational only, but I find the long hose/bungeed octo to be superior, especially in kelp and around boats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the planning stages to get one of these for my recreational dives. I currently have an Octo-Z but for the purposes of assisting in classes I have added an octo to my gear. I dont mind it hanging on my bcd for the classes but like the fact of having it closer and easier to reach and obtain in the event of an emergency.

Many of the divers I know use the long hose configuration. I mean even if your not doing wreck or cave, do you really want to have to be that close in an ooa situation? What if you have to travel a short distance or deploy a lift bag? Every diver has his (or her) own way of doing things but I believe a long hose configuration just makes more sense. Dive safe!

There is noting "tech" about a bungied backup and long hose primary. It is simply a configuration that works well for air shares and is streamlined. Those are not "tech" skills. Those are skills every diver should have. You can use a 5' hose if you prefer over a 7' hose which leaves nothing to tuck in.

My g/f started in a Hogarthian setup with a long hose and bungeed backup. After class she remarked "I really like my bungee backup, since I always know right where it is". Both of our backups are on 24" hoses. I use a 7' primary hose, and she still uses a 5' hose until she is ready to add a can light to the mix.

This configuration in the link below works perfectly for warm water, cold water, rec, and tech. There is no reason to try to change it since it has evolved over many years, by some of the most experienced divers there are. I would strongly recommend taking a few minutes and at least read thru it.
Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom