Using a line reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry H PA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering if when diving and going down anchor line,does anybody use some kind of line to get back to anchor line? Lets say person on boat isnt real good at moving boat. So you want to come up within distance to get aboard ,does anyone do this?

It's pretty standard practice in the NJ/NY area to return to the anchor line at the end of the dive. Many dive sites are located near (or in) shipping lanes, and current can prevent a surface swim back to the boat. You're correct that many people run reels, particularly in low viz, to ensure that they can find the anchor line. Running a reel takes a bit of practice, and gas planning to ensure a safe ascent for you and your buddy.

As CharlesFoster00 said, it's standard practice around here. Wrecks are big steel objects so compasses don't work, and 30' of vis is a good day, so you need something unless you know the wreck very well.

Don't tie the reel to the anchor, tie it to the wreck next to the anchor. If the anchor drifts you don't want to be drug along with it.

If the consequences of not making it back to the anchor line are substantial, a cave-style secondary tie might not be a terrible idea.

Finally, depending on how uncomfortable your topside temporary "captain" is, I would reconsider your plans. DAN has published a few Lessons Learned articles involving a topside boat tender who couldn't tend the boat particularly well. It generally doesn't end so hot for the diver if there's any trouble.

A reel might be a good idea for you. Practice with it in safe, calm waters to be able to use correctly while watching your air consumption.

I think gsk3 is right on, but I also want to encourage you to work on navigation skills. I have a short piece on this on my blog- Navigation for the Recreational Diver. Navigation is a very important and useful skill.
DivemasterDennis

In my neck if the woods it's not uncommon for boat captains to drop anchor a distance from the site greater than maximum visibility (generally an effort to prevent it from getting stuck in the wreck). In the more barren areas, it may be sitting in sand. In those cases, I have no issue tying directly to the anchor or chain, although as GSK mentioned, tying to something static nearby is preferred whenever possible.

There are a lot of ways you can use a reel to help find the anchor -- if you aren't diving a wreck, you can run the line down over the top of the wall or reef, to mark your starting point. Or if you are diving a spot with little depth contour, just stretching the line out 50 or 100 feet can give you a much bigger target to hit. (In that case, though, I WOULD tie to the anchor line, or you run a real risk of losing your reel if you still don't make it back.)

If you are talking about diving off a private boat with a boat tender who can't run the thing, think seriously about whether you want to do this. If, for ANY reason -- current, equipment malfunction, navigational error) you come up where you can't swim back to the boat, you AND the person on the boat will be in a world of hurt.

In that case, though, I WOULD tie to the anchor line, or you run a real risk of losing your reel if you still don't make it back.

Which reminds me to point out that you should always consider a reel disposable. I have a very nice reel and not much disposable income, and I still make sure that I don't get too attached to it. Seen people do all sorts of silly things to make sure they keep their reel, and I've done a few of them myself in training. Let it go if need be. Your life is worth more than a $50-150 reel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom