DIR is cheap! On what planet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen many times on this board that diving a DIR gear configuration is cheaper!

Were these people smoking crack or what!

If anything I think it's more expensive. I mean $75 for spring fin straps, and even the cheaper ones are still about $50! Halcyon BP and harness and wing, more expensive than my back inflate

Could it just be that a lot of DIR guys are also DIY guys, so a lot of the insanely priced accessories, they make themselves much cheaper? Or that they go DIR from the begining, so a lot of the misc things we spend money on, and then replace, everything from BCs, fins, to all the little odds and ends, they don't buy in the first place?

grunzster once bubbled...
I've seen many times on this board that diving a DIR gear configuration is cheaper!

Were these people smoking crack or what!
Perhaps a DIR rig would be more expensive than your K-Mart *Snorkle Diver Fun Set* but that is not comparing apples~n~apples now is it.

but you have to look at the big picture, its probably cheaper in the long run. Think of a person doing ow diving, buys a jacket style BC, some weird fins, etc and then 2 years down the road they want to get into tech diving, then they still have the other dive gear, but now want to buy a bp/harness/wing, jet fins, etc. SO basiclaly this person has had to buy 2 sets of gear, when if they had gotten the bp/wing etc to begin with it would have been cheaper in the long run. Also a BC will eventually wear out. But with a bp and harness, if it starts to wear out you spend $12 on new webbing, you can't really do that with the BC, you just gotta buy a new one.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

I've seen them say cleaner, and more diving for the buck but never recall them saying it was cheaper.

I don't think anyone would say the equipment costs less. I think they would say they can do more diverse dives with what they recommend without buying unnecessary items.

Hallmac

One backplate - $100 approx. Total lifetime - forever. Jet Fins are over 30 years old - and there are probably people out there diving 30 year old fins.

A backplate is good for diving singles, good for diving doubles. The only thing that wears out (webbing) costs $12 to replace. You need a wing - An Oxycheq singles wing AND an Oxycheq Doubles wing are going to run you about $550. And effectively, you're set for life.

By the way - I sell spring straps on E-Bay. You can get your very own set for $30. Less than half the $75 you quoted.

I have never bought a console, a pair of split fins, a retractor, or a pony bottle . I won't buy a $100 dive knife, or spare air or an octo keeper.

I'd say my total diving purchases have been much cheaper.

But you can't stop at the BC. A BP/W - about the same as top of the line back inflate. Actually, much less than some.

But Boogie is spot on - the savings is in the hoopla you DON'T BUY.

* Titanium pig sticker could easily run you $75+ My knife was 3 for $2.99. Wanna race through a some mono or a 1/2" poly rope?

* My fins cost me $40 on eBay. I sold my Atomic fins for three times that. Add in the spare strap ($29.95)... I probably had over $200 into my fins.... THAT was crazy.

* No snorkle... sold that POS for another $30 (some dry breathing nonsense I bought into...)

* Add in an Octo Keepter, fin retainers, Mag Slate, Mask clip, a console, a tank handle, tank mesh, a colorful tank boot and all manner of retractor, zinger and wrist strap for these things, it adds up

I'll replaced all that plastic trident crapola with a a few boat dives.

Diving isn't a cheap sport. But I know the stuff I have is easy to maintain, its been battle tested, and its built to last.

Add in the premium price for training, and DIR is probably more.

K

if you got into diving to save money I've got some baaaaad news for ya :wink:

Seriously though, you don't need to buy all Halcyon to be DIR, if you want to save money (without sacrificing quality to boot) there are cheaper alternatives. Also, not only will a DIR setup last you just about forever it elimanates the standard nonsense that will end up broke and useless.

Ben

"sometimes I see something shiney in the water and I bite it"

Paraphrased, of course...

:D

PS:

*Snorkle Diver Fun Set* is an instant classic....

Reading this thread reminds me how grateful I am that I discovered this site before I started buying gear.

If I would have found this site six months after renewing my diving experience I probably would have dumped about $3000 on crap.

Instead I spent about $2000 on gear that will probably out last me and want be worthless in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom