Personal locating devices.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry H PA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just wondering anybody dive with a spot or someother device? Are there any water proof units that can be put in a pocket? When you see stories about drifting away from boat ,or being left behind,you could activate and get help.

I use a Nautica Lifeline, before that I had a marine radio with GPS capabilities that I kept in a McMurdo canister.

For what it's worth, Nautilus is apparently doing some research into why their device failed in Hawaii... There's a thread in basic scuba about a diver picked up by the USCG after 13 hours. His Nautilus Lifeline didn't work.

That said, having one that might work is better than not having anything at all, right?

How about a compass?

Fast Find 210 PLB inside of a Custom Divers dive canister. There is also a pouch for attaching it to your equipment. I also like the Nautilus Lifeline mentioned above. They are for similar purposes but with completely different methods of execution. The PLB sends a signal to a satellite from anywhere in the world - well maybe not very well in the Arctic regions. The Nautilus is whatever the radio range is - a few miles.

They are both small enough to be on your kit if you wanted.

The Fast Find 210 PLB would be my preference as using any other device that utilizes VHF/UHF radio may be illegal in certain countries without a licence.

The Fast Find 210 PLB would be my preference as using any other device that utilizes VHF/UHF radio may be illegal in certain countries without a licence.

Getting a license is not too difficult in the US. There is some talk about it on the Nautilus section. I have a PLB for sailing. If I used it diving I would be sure to register that I was using it for diving so they would know they where looking for a diver. With mine I update the registration with the date of every major trip.
Part of the question for me is who's attention are you trying to get? If it's the boat you came off of or one that is close by. then use the Nautilus or something like that. If you want to contact SAR then a PLB is the way to go. But it takes time to notify the county where it is registered, for them to verify, then notify the county responsible for where you are diving and then the locals. Even in the US for a US registered PLB 2 hours would be quick.
If you want to get the attention of a boat that is close, a smoke flare might be the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom