Jelly fish sting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steview

New
Reaction score
Hi. Does anybody have any advise regarding jelly fish stings. Last July whilst snorkelling in the Red Sea I was stung by a jelly fish. I did not realise what it was until a few days later when a waiter in the hotel commented on it. At the time it was a mass of blisters. When I returned to the UK I went to my GP. Since July I have had various antibiotics and creams but I still have the raised whelts from the sting which itch and hurt at the same time. I have been back to my GP on numerous occassions but he said he has explored every option and there is no other treatment. The sting is on my arm. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get rid of it. Thanks

I'm not a doctor either.

First aid classes usually teach the application of vinegar to stings, however I once had a shipboard doctor treat a box jelly sting with straight bleach on a paper towel. It actually worked!

As for prolonged reactions, my understanding is that the venom is no longer in your system and the residual welts/blisters are your body's reaction essentially to itself. When I get hit by jellies, the initial pain is nothing compared to the weeks of intense itching and sleepless nights. I think the best treatment for such a problem is time.

At this point it is probably just still your body reacting to it so first aid like vinegar isn't going to help. I'd try some hydrocortisone cream to tame the immune response that is going on.

If the incident hapend in July and you still have the welts, ...wow!! that is much time,
-Go to another Doctor or Dermatologist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom