SMS 100 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prof Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm slowly become more and more interested into doing tech diving. I've been slowly searching around for a good set up. Since my store deals with Oceanic, I thought it is wise to get some Hollis gear as I plan on stocking Hollis gear for our cave divers in the area.

So my question is, what is major difference between the solo and duel system? And how easy is it to transfer to a Jacket Style BCD to Wings?

Cheers

When you say solo and duel system...do you mean dual bladder vs single bladder or dual tanks vs single tank?

As far as transition to wing form jacket. It should be very easy. I took my Open water class in a jacket and the very next dives were in a wing. No problems...

The Hollis is the most 'jackety' of the sidemount options - so I'd guess it was a pretty easy transition. I didn't like the transition from BP&W into the Hollis for just that reason - I found it bulky and cumbersome. The SMS50 looks more my style, but I didn't get chance to try that yet.

I wouldn't recommend the SMS100 as a backmount option. It is hybrid... but unless you intend to use if for both sidemount and backmount, then you're paying for more capability than you need. There are better pure backmount options.

The SMS50 is really only for Aluminum Cylinders, and just marginal for steel 98's by themselves. If you are going to be diving steal tanks and stages down the road then you will have to do the SMS100. Dual bladder is really designed for wetsuit diving with steel tanks (redundancy). If you are diving dry or aluminum cylinders, than the single bladder is fine. I would take a quality class (get educated) and all this will be covered, this way you will have even more of a foundation for understanding this type of diving and making a decision. Most people transition fine, the challange for most is getting use to the true horizontal postion and feet being up. This is where all your advanced finning techniques come into play.

Also the sms100 is only really ment for one tank on the back. U can rig it for 2 but it's not great. I like the SMS 100 as a beginner sm diver but that's mostly because I like the way it positions everything when I'm in my drysuit. When I'm in my 3/5mm it seems a little bulky but if you tighten is down right it's ok. IMO if you where diving warm water or taking basic tec the sms50 is an ok option but if it's going to be more advanced diving the sms100 is great

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom