new divers and rescue skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In response to another thread in the New Divers section I thought I would start a new thread instead of hijack the other one.

Jim Lapenta was stating that even a brand new open water diver right out of basic open water training should be able to support a diver at the surface, get control of a panicked diver at the surface, bring up an unconscious diver from depth, tow and unconscious diver while stripping gear to the boat/shore.

To me that seems like an awful lot of task loading for a complete newbie. To use another analogy, it's like teaching a skier to do a snow plow and then take them to the top of the mountain for trip down black diamond experts run.

Having delt with multiple medical emergencies I can tell you that the best response in emergency situations is simply experience. Brand new interns and doctors do not handle code blue situations with the same calm and collected responses as seasoned doctors who have done it many, many times before. Also, the individual personalitites play a huge role in who stays calm and who simply panicks. Repitition and experience help the more anxious prone responders calm themselves down a little but only after they've done a code blue a few times. Trust me when I tell you that there is a big difference doing it on CPR Annie which is a dummy and doing it bedside with a real person.

Just my humble opinion, but I think divers get the most out of a CPR first responder course and Rescue Diver course after they have several dives under their belt. IMO I think they should be able to instinctively control their buoyancy and trim while diving before presented with rescue/emergency responsibilities.

I don't think that I'm ready to try to haul a diver or up from depth and out of the water - but if the situation arises I'll do the best I can. I've thought about taking the rescue course just so I can help my buddy (husband) if something were to happen. My biggest concern is that a panicked diver might take me down with them. I feel confident that I could grab someone's tank and pull them while I swim to the boat - but keeping their airway unobstructed, keeping their mouth out of the water, etc - while they're in full panic mode? I don't feel too confident about that.

One thing that I was going to mention in that thread where Jim commented was that in the book that I have (PADI 2010 version), has some of the skills in it that would be considered rescue skills. No, it's not taking off an unconscious diver's exposure suit in an emergency while both of you are surfacing, but they do outline the tired diver tow as well as the one where you are pulling the diver up by his/her tank.

I dont think a CPR course is too much to ask, and i think it should be required to complete OW. My EMS agency teaches CPR to high school kids and church groups, its a pretty simple thing to learn especially for most divers, its compressions only CPR. As an EMT, i strongly encourage all divers to at least pursue a first responder cert, 80hrs or so, and our dive team requires EMT within a year of joining. I think that rescue diving should be part of the progression to AOW

I was trained in most of that , with the exception of ascend from depth in my ow cert. I think alot of it is common sense too.

I really do not understand why anyone would not have a first aid cert either. I have even traveled to places to do first aid courses. Wilderness Survival F/a was great.

I am sorry but I disagree. In the Army they say train as you fight. You start that training as a Private and continue on throughout your career. You dont wait until your a Sergeant. A seasoned diver may handle a rescue better then a rookie but that doesnt mean the rookie should not know how to handle the rescue. Just my opinion though.

I am sorry but I disagree. In the Army they say train as you fight. You start that training as a Private and continue on throughout your career. You dont wait until your a Sergeant. A seasoned diver may handle a rescue better then a rookie but that doesnt mean the rookie should not know how to handle the rescue. Just my opinion though.

I don't disagree that a diver should be aware of how to handle an emergency. The PADI OW training has a whole chapter on diving emergencies. It covers divers in a panic, unconscious diver, and basically every diver with medical problems back on board or at shore gets oxygen.

Expecting a newbie to handle the situation as a complete veteran may be expecting a little too much.

New divers & rescue skills: It would be optimal if all divers can assist their dive buddies in all circumstances. Realistically, a new diver is still struggling with buoyancy, trim, sac rate, situational awareness, and getting comfortable with their equipment. I would think if new divers can keep their dive profiles conservative, they are more likely to be in a position where they can render assistance to their dive buddy. In other words, new divers should consider what could go wrong and evaluate if they have the skills to deal with it. If the new diver is in 30-60 ft, they may have a better outcome than if they are at 80-100 ft in strong currents in a new dive site poor vis, night dive etc. I think all divers would benefit if they seek continuous learning. It is sad reading about diving accidents. There seems to be a common thread where divers dive beyond their skills & experience, an inconvenience arises, and they do not successfully manage it. My 2 cents.

Willie,
There are many that will agree with you and others that feel that Open Water training should be expanded beyond it's current scope by agencies or the instructors.

Not our place to evaluate Jim's courses, but as instructors, the majority I believe, wish we all had more time with students. Costs vs profitability is a limiting factor of course and if one were to charge enough anything is possible.

Experience is the greatest teacher, sadly, the most difficult of life's teaching sessions can be less than pleasurable.

We suggest all divers continue their dive education, practice skills and build their practical knowledge by experience.

Back
Top Bottom