Snorkeling mask suitable for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bakery Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Being a newbie I took the advice of a dive shop where I live when purchasing a new mask for the first time. It's a Mares 'Ghibli' mask, which through later research I discovered is a 'snorkeling' mask. Being a higher quality snorkeling mask, is it suitable for a beginner scuba diver who is currently doing their OWD course? The lens is marked 'Tempered' and has a sticker saying it meets a US standard (11-1995) for impact resistance.

I've read some of the forums on here which discuss the topic, many of which say the quality of the materials for the two differ, but to me it looked, felt and fitted no different to the other masks available, both Mares and other brands.

The major difference between "scuba" masks and "snorkeling" masks is that snorkeling masks are lower volume, rendering them (in most cases) better for both activities.

Ok...thanks for that. You might have to explain the theory behind less volume and why it's good? Newbie here wanting to learn as much as I can.

The larger the mask the more volume. There is really only one key factor when selecting a mask and that is fit. If the mask fits and is comfortable that's the mask you want. If it leaks find sumptin else.

I like the Atomic Frameless. Low volume, wide angle of view, and most important.....it fits..

ATMMFR.JPG

Low volume means easy to clear and less air that needs to be introduced into the mask for equalization. It often also means the panes are closer to the eye and thus yield a wider view.

The larger the mask the more volume. There is really only one key factor when selecting a mask and that is fit. If the mask fits and is comfortable that's the mask you want. If it leaks find sumptin else.

I like the Atomic Frameless. Low volume, wide angle of view, and most important.....it fits..

ATMMFR.JPG

Thats a good mask, for those with bigger face ScubaPro orbit has the same shape

+ 1 on the Atomic best fitting mask, MED, Ive ever owned. Not all snorkeling masks are suitable for diving, but all diving masks can be used for snorkeling. Those snorkeling masks unsuitable, untempered I believe, for diving usually have a sticker on them advising of such.

The major difference between "scuba" masks and "snorkeling" masks is that snorkeling masks are lower volume, rendering them (in most cases) better for both activities.
Free diving masks rock. For the life of me, I don't know why we try to reinvent the wheel.

They are comparatively inexpensive as well.

Back
Top Bottom