Where to strap a small knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A friend suggested that I can strap my small knife to my BCD air hose. Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I don't want to just put it in my pocket as I prefer to have the knife mounted on the outsode somewhere. Can I put a couple of grommits through the material of BCD (not near an air pouch of course)? Any othe rsuggestions welcome?

Hi Fred,

Strapping a knife on the inflator hose is fairly common and makes it easy to reach - the hose is generally quite robust and a couple of zip ties is enough to hold the knife scabbard without collapsing the hose. It does add to the drag though so when I'm wearing a BC, I place a small knife (an Underwater Kinetics Remora) on the waist strap so that it's just inside the BC. This makes it streamlined, easy to reach yet out of the way. I always mount that knife handle down so I can pull it out and down with ease.

This probably won't help you because of my BC's configuration. I have a "kangaroo pouch" factory mounted to my cummerbund. I attached my knife to the topflap of that pouch (so that it's horizontal). That way, it's where I can reach it and, indeed, SEE it. By the way, I also have a folding backup knive in a pouch on the strap of my BC.

A friend suggested that I can strap my small knife to my BCD air hose.
good idea

IMG_1542.JPG

If you have a slot you can mount it along the webbing of your buckles, either on the waist strap or under the shoulder straps.

You could also make your own cutting device/sheath using spare webbing and a sawed off steak knife or even EMT shears.

DIR Dalton Safety Knife.jpg

Last edited:
bracko:6238934:
I strap mine to my leg. easy to reach and out of the way.

Scubapro Mako I believe is my knife.

Out of the way for you but not every entanglement under the water.

This is a click-lock knife so it can't fall out.

zeaglemount.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom