Suggestions on some snorkeling (NOT freediving) equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelMonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I know this gets asked a lot, but I have some specific criteria which should affect the suggestions, and I really trust the input of the awesome members here! :D

I live in Colorado and don't get to travel very often, but I'm going back to Maui in October. I went there for my wedding in 2010 and snorkeling immediately became my favorite thing to do, so I plan to spend a LOT of time doing it when we go back. I don't need a snorkel or mask—I actually bought these before we went the first time, and I've been very happy with them.

Here were some things that affected my experience snorkeling before that I'd like to address this time around if I can:

* I am a skinny guy (5'10", 125 lbs). I don't float, but the other down side of being skinny is that I get cold easy. After an hour paddling around I would be shivering, but not enough to get me to stop. I'm considering getting a neoprene shirt, or at least a rash shirt so I can go easy on the sunscreen (being that sunscreen—even the "green" kind—is apparently hard on corals).

* Also being skinny, I'm not buoyant. Add to that a near drowning experience when I was a child and I'm not the most water confident person. I rented a floatation belt last time we went and it was fine, but am I correct that a neoprene shirt might help with this?

* I asked this in a separate post, but I'm thinking of getting a handheld light to use to see into the darker areas and also so I can get a more color-accurate view of the fish. I know they sell color corrected goggles, but they seem intended for deeper (SCUBA) diving. Plus, they're expensive and I already have a mask. I'm looking at the Dorcy 220.

* Last time we went I rented fins from Snorkel Bob's (I think it was these). They seemed fine, but the last couple days we were there I started having knee pain and had to cut my snorkeling short. :depressed: I've looked into fins a bit, but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting opinions. Some people say longer fins are better for snorkeling, some say shorter. Split fins seem to be good for propulsion, but it seems like the consensus is that they're useless for surface snorkeling. Everyone loves carbon fiber, but it seems hard to justify that much money for something I can only use every few years.

I have no plans to start freediving, and I'm fine with that, so please don't bother recommending something because it will be good for freediving as well—this is solely surface snorkeling gear I'm looking for. :)

Phew, long post! Thanks for bearing with me and I really appreciate any suggestions people have to offer! :D

If you're doing strictly surface, please disregard, what I wrote in the other thread, a torch wouldn't be of much use ...

I dive and snorkel Maui a lot. I recommend you acquire a 3 mil shorty wetsuit- on line less than $100.00 and it will last you for a looong time. It covers mid upper arm to mid thigh. It will give you positive buoyancy, but not prevent a surface dive now and then to look at some critter a little closer up. Snorkel fins are smaller than scuba fins, and will stress your knees less. Go to a local dive center in Colorado ( I am here) and they will have snorkel fins or will order them, including split fins. Plan on spending 40 to fifty-five dollars. They also will last you for years and years.
A light will penetrate cracks and crevices, but you do not have any color wash oput at norkeling depths. Again, on of the many local shops in Colorado will have a variety of lights. Get and led , smaller light. That is plenty for all your intended uses. You may want to consider buying your own mask and snorkel if you don't have them already. If you do- same source- local dive shop to fit the mask. As to snorkel, I recommend you avoid the "fancy" (and expensive) "waterproof models. Get a basic snorkel with a flex hose near the moutpiece and a valve in the mouthpiece for clearing ( they will know what that is. Mask should run 50 ish, snorkel less than 30 bucks.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom