Scuba Divers BANNED from the Zenobia wreck, Cyprus!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The Zenobia is now off-limits to scuba divers. Shockingly bad decision by the port authority. We had a similar situation here in Subic Bay last year, regarding one of our 'signature' wrecks. Luckily common sense prevailed after a few months and the harbor authority relented.​

I can only hope that the Cypriot authorities can come to the same decision.

My genuine commiserations to the diving operations that will suffer greatly because of this ill-informed and short-sighted policy making.

The Zenobia was my first 'proper' wreck dive, nearly 20 years ago. I've done hundreds of wrecks since... that that boat will always have a fond place in my memories.

Divers banned from one of world's top wrecks
Divers have been banned from diving the Zenobia, one of the world’s top wreck dives, following a controversial decision by the local port authority.
The decision was made after the family of a diver who died on the wreck in 2010 said they were considering taking legal action against the port. General Director Yiannakis Kokkinos said it was these “legal reasons” that had forced them to implement the closure.
The decision has dismayed many within the diving community, particularly given the fact the Zenobia regularly features in Top Ten Wreck Dives lists and is a huge attraction for dive tourists.
While the site’s closure spells disappointment for divers, it could represent something altogether more serious for the resident dive schools.
Alex Dimitriou, who is just about to set up a diving school in Cyprus, told the Cyprus Mail: “It’s going to cripple every single dive school. The Zenobia is the one place that pulls divers in. It’s like no other wreck.”
The port authority has said new legal framework will be set up to allow divers to apply for a special licence allowing them to dive in the area. The details of this new setup are set to be revealed in the coming days.
The Zenobia sits at a depth of 42m-15m, making it ideal for novices and more advanced divers alike. The 12,000-tonne, 178-metre long ferry sank in 1980, with a cargo including approximately 1,000 lorries and industrial machinery.

Hi All... there is no such ban on the Zenobia. It was a total misinterpretation of an old 1973 by law in relation to the required permits of any diving with in a 3 mile radius of a port. Someone put 2&2 together and came up with 36 :) I can confirm that we at Alpha Divers www.alpha-divers.com have been diving the wreck last week and every day since with no limitations. Yiannis Kokkinos (GM) of the Cyprus Port Authority stated tonight on Cyp' radio that permits have been granted to all dive schools and the law will will be changed to the benefit of the tourism industry as expected.
So pack your bags, book your tickets... this amazing wreck awaits you :) Safe diving all :)

When I first read the news I was really surprised. Thank you for the informations, when I wrote an article to our readers about the situation I was able to share the local divers' experiences about the "ban".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom