Pony Bottle Location Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So question for my dive friends. Where do you mount your pony bottle? The reason I ask is I am just starting to dive with one. I want it on the right side of my primary tank. My reasoning for not having it on the back is I am getting into some limited overhead environments. Recreational wreck and possibly cavern since I live in Missouri where there are a ton of them. Having it on the back gives me less clearance and makes it too easy to bump things and cause damage or worse.... get me trapped. Sounds great, right?

Here is my problem. I use a scubapro BC and the cinch on the tank strap was right where I want the bottle. So I adjusted the strap so the cinch is on the back and the bottle is where I want it. Now, if I don't dive with the bottle, I have to tighten the strap, but part of the velcro is on the inside of the backplate now. So I would have to readjust the strap (which isn't easy) and then adjust it. Pretty inconvenient. Living here in MO, I can't exactly do one way for winter, one for summer thing. So.... I either dive all the time with the bottle except far travel. Or move where the bottle sits.

So what do you do?

I understand some here are against having pony bottles. I respect that, however I have chosen to have one for some dives. I would appreciate not having a debate over whether to have one or not to have one. I'll just agree to disagree :p

Sling your pony bottle. This will give you better acsess to the valve and regulator. It also gives you options such as staging it outside a wreck or giving it to a buddy in the case he/she is in a out of air situation.

Sling it. That will solve your can band problems and also go a long way towards streamlining you. Much easier to avoid or resolve entanglement with a sling pony, compared to one mounted on your back.

Cheaper to set up a slung pony too :D

There are mounts like the Remora that I have that solves your issue. One part mounts to your cam band, the other half with a quick release mounts on the bottle. No adjustment of the CAM bands needed once you set it up. Only works for smaller pony bottles (19 is max).

That said, once you start talking overhead then you need to think about larger pony bottles and you are pretty much stuck with slinging the bottle.

Sling, it's a simple grab and go solution. No rigging, just take it or not. It's all fully visible and if it gets snarled it's right there to seal with. If there is ever a need you can hand it off to a buddy too.

I built my sling rigging from spare parts in the shop.

Never tried that. Thank you for the advice. It seems pretty unanimous. I will set it up and give it a shot. Thanks again :) For those that were curious about its size, I got a 30cf one. I hope I never need to use it, but in case of something really bad happening, I wanted a pretty good chunk of cushion.

257821d1296706879-xtreme-fuel-treatment-presents-beat-caption-ending-jan-26-2011-horse_drinking_beer_bottle.jpg

By slinging the pony, you can ditch it at any time, just in case something happens.

EDIT: Looks like the question was already answered. Well that'll teach me to open up alot of tabs before replying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom