Has the RDP changed over the years?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

racerx_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Did my OW theory by e-learning so never got an rdp slate. Not a huge thing cause I have a dive computer but still thought its nice to have one handy and to aid in general dive planning. Anyway, someone gave me his old dive books.. (Emphasis on old.. There's even a scubapro diving manual) and one had a PADI rdp slate in it (and 'the wheel'--bonus!). I think it's from 1994 since that's the latest copyright indicated.

Have they made changes to it since? If so, anyone know what changes? Thought I remember certain years having an error or something on em..

Dounno but I am sure that it is a waste of time since computers do the job nicely.

Tables are never a waste of time. Nothing that expands your knowledge is a waste of time when it comes to diving. Tables may save your dive trip when a computer battery dies and there is none to rent or borrow. I got certed in 04 and don't remember anything being said about errors in the RDP. The wheel can be a fickle biatch, but a lot of fun to use. The thing about the wheel is each one has to be calibrated following the directions in the book, not hard BTW, but once you do it's all yours! Like your own personalized dive planner! I still take mine out and play once in a while.

If you can, borrow a set of newer tables or download them. bet they are up somewhere. Then do a visual comparison by checking the limits. Or even better work out some profiles with each one and see how they match up. Make sure they are both PADI tables though. I have tables for PADI, SDI, SSI, NAUI, US Navy -old and new, SEI, and YMCA. I'm always looking for other more obscure ones. Dive planning with tables is a good exercise in attention to detail. It's also a good buddy skill builder if you do them together.

The only learning exercise that is a waste of time is the one you do not take advantage of when it comes to this activity.

Yes the RDP has changed a couple times that I am aware of. I can remember the tables I used in the 80's had 60' for 60 minutes (NDL) as an J diver. I believe it was early 90's when they changed and went to the A-Z pressure groups and the NDL for 60' changed to 55 minutes. I would have to dig out the old tables to see when exactly.

The only errors I am aware of were in the nitrox tables a couple years ago and PADI issued a recall and replaced the batch with the error

I liked the "Wheel", it made for great skeet shooting practice. Jim mentioned having to calibrate and being fickle. There are stronger words that can be used but it would violate TOS.

Last edited:
I remember that now about the nitrox tables. Thanks Scott.

yeah maybe it was the nitrox tables i was thinking of.. yeah i've actually tried to find tables online but don't seem to see em anywhere amazingly. most of the hits i found were sites selling the slates so had a super low-res image. anyway, not a huge thing. i'll keep hunting but was just wondering if these tables were worth keeping

Racerx,
I must give you a big "Thumbs Up" to your desire to understand the RDP. Many new divers fall into the "Let the Computer Do It" faction. What they are missing and would be benefit from, is at least understanding what the computer is doing.

Jim's valid point of what do you do, when your battery dies or computer malfunctions. Ask someone else right ? noooooooooooo :D

Since you've embraced the electronic age with e-learning and dive computers, I wouldn't get to carried away with "THE WHEEL" ugh... mine became a cool frisbee. There has been a boo-boo in the past but not worth worrying about.

Depending on your Dive Computer make and model, you may see a slight difference between it and the RDP's NDLs, due to the software the computer may use.

Donate the wheel to a dive musuem somewhere, and have fun diving....

thanks, yeah i wasn't really planning to use the wheel extensively. Like i said, someone gave me their old stuff and i just thought it was kinda cool as a dive novelty thing so mentioned it here. I'm aware of the different algorithms that govern the rdp and computers, etc, just wanted to know if there are known inaccuracies/changes from certain generations of the printed RDP in case i ever end up using it for some reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom