Used late 90s AL Tanks, used often or stored?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N736RA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Basically I have the option to buy two 1999/2000 Catalina AL80's for the total price of 150 bucks, they were both hydro-ed in May of '11 and have until July of this year on their VIS. The cavet (maybe) is that both have been dived weekly or every other week since about 2000/2001, as such they have always been serviced (and from the outside apparently never scratched). Is that much use something to be wary of and avoid, or is that a good thing (knowing they've been taken care of), apparently the guy is still diving with them.

Not an issue. Buy them if you are ok with the price.

Ditto.

Would that price be reasonable for two of those tanks? They seem to be about 150 new for 1 so half price used seems fair to me...but I know nothing (but if I show up to the class with all my own gear I save quite a bit of money on it, and given I need the gear anyway...might as well)

Sounds like a good price to me. Id look inside just to be sure they are good for their next VIP. Things like valves, tumbling/whipping, O2 cleaning if needed, ect. can start to add up. AL tanks go cheap but if these are squared away I would grab them.

I really like Catalina aluminum tanks. I have 4 of them, 2 AL80s (1991 & 2010) and a set of double AL53s (2011). Just take a look inside and if they're clean, snap those puppies up.

Thanks guys! I'll grab em up! He said he was diving with them just last weekend, so I can't imagine they're in that rough of shape, but I'll see about looking inside them.

@N763RA:

Would your screen name happen to be the N number of a Cessna 182, by any chance?

Haha yeap, good eye! The plane belonged to my father many years ago

I'm cheap. I only pay 50 for aluminum tanks. But 75 probably isn't bad if you're ok with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom