Online Nitrox Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if there were any completely online Nitrox courses. One where you can do the theory, and be issued a card without having to see an instructor.
I'd just like to get the wife certified before we go on a liveaboard in a couple of weeks. She's already done the theory part of the SSI course, but factors have conspired against the completion of the "dive" part, and the shop insists on doing dives to finish it. What exactly jumping in the water proves with Nitrox, i'm not sure.

So, is there any agency that will issue an EAN32 or EAN40 card with just an online test? It'll be a pain if I dive EAN and she dives Air all week.

I know you can get the cert without diving but you would have to pay for the class and take the test at the LDS. This is PADI. Maybe you can do this at home thru some other agency, but I would just take your lumps and finish what you started. Or maybe you can finish while on vacation? Face it, there is no such thing as self serve in diving classes.

SSI also does not require dives for nitrox certification so your shop is doing something different.

Well, in QLD due to WHS, to issue someone with a Nitrox cert, the student must complete all associated dives for the certification. Maybe your shop, in Melbourne is adopting a similar approach and are requiring two nitrox dives. I know with PADI you have to analyse and verify two blends, and determine the MOD at the set PPO2 (practical exercises), but you don't actually have to get wet, just simulate what to do before and after the dive in regards to using nitrox. I think that the physical action reinforces correct procedures when utilising EANx, plus it's two more dives!

My son took the SDI online Nitrox class this month. He did the exam online but he still had to go into the LDS to be shown the analyzer and to check O2 levels on a few tanks. Once that was complete, he was given a temporary certification card.

Both PADI and SSI consider the dives as optional, although if local regulations dictate dives must be performed, that would affect both agenices lds'. If that's the case, have you looked into doing the nitrox course with the op you are using on vacation? I know it would be a pain, and probably cost more, but at least you wouldn't be stuck with one of you on air and one on eanx during your vacation.

The PADI, SDI, and TDI online courses all have a zero dive requirement. IE you do the online work and then just meet up with an instructor at the shop to finish up with a test review and a practical tank analysis.

I just did the TDI Nitrox online and though I would recommend it, there were some minor issues with the online quiz process.

There was (may still be) a so-called agency that issued "certs" entirely online. But no one recognized them because there was no practical aspect included. As others have mentioned, for Nitrox that would include elements such as analyzing a mix.

I only mention them as a caution. If you come across someone offering entirely on-line certs, avoid them.

You might want to check with your liveaboard. Some offer nitrox certs while at sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom