Rechargeable batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm interested in upgrading my current mountain of spare batteries to a couple sets of rechargeable batteries.

What brand does everyone use?

Is there a noticeable difference between brands?

I'm looking mainly for AA, AAA and 123s(little 3.0 v pile lithium thingies) for camera, strobe, and torches.

The last time I dealt with rechargeable batteries was 30 years ago when I was a kid and can recall that back then they were less than reliable.

+1 on eneloops- last a long time once charged, and recharge quickly. I use them in my strobes and two dive lights.

Beats me. Batteries are so cheap that I don't even think about it.

I'm using Duracell Rechargeable batteries (AA DX1500 NiMH 1.2V 2000mAh) for my strobes. They seem to last around three dives. They don't charge very quickly (a few hours for four), but they work for a few hundred charges apparently. Saves a good amount of money and waste compared to regular batteries.

My camera uses the regular Canon rechargeable battery. I think rechargeables have come a long way.

Do you recycle them? They are a hazardous waste, and should not be thrown in the trash. There are lots of places that accept old batteries for free. For instance many hardware stores, and every battery store.

Eneloops work great, as do many other brands. These days anything under 2500ma is not worth buying. A good quality charger is important, and the cost savings of using rechargables makes them worth it.

Yes, but going on a trip, I might end up packing 40+ batteries.

I use the Energizer fast rechargeer for AA NiMh batteries - it will do AAA also. They will charge in about 10-15 minutes for 4. Energizer went down from the 2500's and 2700's to 2300's since the fast charge made them quite hot. Energizer does have a slower charger for 2500's and 2700's that takes 6-7 hours (or so they say) and they don't get hot. My camera uses AA's in the camera and strobes and I usually take about 20 with me. I have a couple of UK lights that use 4xAA.

I used a Rayovac charger and batteries 4 to 5 years ago and they just would not last as long. These were 2300 and 2500s NiMh size. I did some research and it seems they measured their capacity at 85% of total (marketing and not reported by them?). They could have changed that since then.

The Energizer charger I have now works in the States, Mexico and Bahamas. I used it in St. Lucia in outlets that were specifically 120 V (they are 220 V for general power). I thought about taking a step down tranformer with us but to save weight I did not. If the country privides 220V in general, I always ask if the hotel/resort provides 110/120V power to charge batteries.

If you have special lithium camera batteries you will need a transformer or provided stepped down power at some sort of charging station.

With the Energizer rechargeables I can easily get many pictures on two long dives. I always change the batteries out after two but I think I could get 3 to 4 dives out of them. I do have the display on my camera set to sleep after 3 minutes.

I think as many devices that I use - camera, two strobes, and lights - I save quite a bit by not having to buy batteries here and take them down or buy batteries at the international destination. The former adds weight and bag fees are high if over and the latter can be expensive. The way I do it, if were on a longer trip and I dive 8 days then I would have to buy 48 AA's and that's just for the camera and strobes. Lights would be more. I can get 50-maybe 80 recharges per battery - probably due to the constant fast charging.

Also, I have noticed that the Energizer rechargeables are slightly fatter than off the shelf standard AA's (non-rechargeables). I have one old UK light where they just won't fit.

Back
Top Bottom