Thailand photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, I'm improving with my Nikon, still not yet where I want to be though.

Still getting some back-scatter from the strobes with the wide-angle lens, even with the arms fully extended laterally and the strobes pointed outwards. Also, the periphery of the wide-angle shots are blurred. Generally I'm shooting at 1/100 and f/8.

It's a real pain carrying this beast of a camera rig in strong current, as is shooting macro in strong current. I've been seeing some impressive close-up photos from the current P&S cameras, but I think the full-size rigs are still better for WA shots given the power of the strobes.

Shooting macro with a 60mm has been disappointing. I can get good fish portraits, but I can get the really tiny stuff (below) only if I crop the photo 50%. Getting the strobes positioned correctly for macro is also a challenge; I'm beginning to see the advantages of a snoot.

DSC_2600.jpg

Anyway, here are my shots from a 4-day live-aboard trip out of Phuket, Thailand, with West Coast Divers (Feb 16-19, 2012).

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Last edited:
DSC_2399.jpg

DSC_2286.jpg

DSC_2453.jpg

DSC_2277.jpg

DSC_2408.jpg

DSC_2125.jpg

DSC_2406.jpg

DSC_2492.jpg

DSC_2407.jpg

DSC_2265.jpg

DSC_22641.jpg

DSC_2512.jpg

Nice, you have a real eye for wide angle. Wish my wide angle looked as good.

Re macro with the 60 - get closer. Find for very small macro I set the focus as close as it will go and move the rig to get the subject in focus. Will be as good as it gets.

Some very nice wide angle shots here. For the really tiny stuff, the 60mm lens alone is not enough. If you don't want to invest in a 1.4x TC and new port, a friend of mine has obtained excellent results by adding a +2 diopter. You should have no problem fitting it in your flat port.

Last edited:
I've been shooting for decades topside. I learned to dive in early 2011 here in the Philippines where I'm a retired expatriate american. I own a Nikon D300 and a fair glass kit. Early on I decided not to try to shoot with my nikon just yet, but to get a cheapo-cheapo point and shoot set up instead. right now i used a canon g 12 with canons underwater housing and a single sealife video light. I call this my KISS (keep it simple stupid)Cheapo-Cheapo outfit.
I'd say my under water work is about like yours. Some stuff here is spectacular; other stuff says you still need to work on your technique....and the techni
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/5666/medium/DSC_2286.jpg[/IMG]

DSC_2453.jpg

DSC_2277.jpg

DSC_2408.jpg

DSC_2125.jpg

Back
Top Bottom