Aluminum BP in the tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ulfhedinn

-Skill Collector-
Reaction score
I will be heading to St Martin in a few months and plan to take my BP/w. I want to double check my setup before I go. I currently dive with 32lb wing, HOG SS plate, 7mm wetsuit, Steel 130 and 10lbs of lead if I dont use my can light. I wont be bringin my can light and I will be trading out my 7mm for a 3mm. I assume I will be forced to use a AL80 since its the standard at most tropical dive locations.

The question is should I purchase a AL backplate to lesson my weight in the luggage or does 4lbs not make that much of a differance in the end.

Any guess how much lead I will need once I get there?

I will be heading to St Martin in a few months and plan to take my BP/w. I want to double check my setup before I go. I currently dive with 32lb wing, HOG SS plate, 7mm wetsuit, Steel 130 and 10lbs of lead if I dont use my can light. I wont be bringin my can light and I will be trading out my 7mm for a 3mm. I assume I will be forced to use a AL80 since its the standard at most tropical dive locations.

The question is should I purchase a AL backplate to lesson my weight in the luggage or does 4lbs not make that much of a differance in the end.

For my tropical diving I use an AL plate with 30# wing and trim weight pockets on the tank cam bands. With a 3/2 wetsuit I use about 8 lbs of lead.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Will 4 pounds really make a difference to the overall weight of your luggage? In the water, if you use a steel plate you just need less lead. Me, I don't think the AL plate is that much of an advantage, but, YMMV

I always take my SS backplate for tropical diving. For me, it works out that I don't have to wear a weight belt at all, which is liberating.

And that is what I am hoping myself. For some reason I cant seem to do the math in my head.

The 4lbs saved in my baggage wont make that much difference in the end.

Personally I'd stick with the SS plate and not wear as much extra lead. I hate adding weight to my belt. Then again, I travel light and don't pay for my checked luggage so weight limits are rarely an issue for me on airlines. I would still take the SS plate if I were paying for it though, the comfort difference is worth it to me to drop an extra pair of jeans or shoes from my luggage.

I'm still waiting for someone to have a "bolt on" back-pack for a Back Plate so that the whole package is your carry-on (just make sure you leave the knife at home!). Think about it -- you could put your whole setup in the back-pack with your fins strapped to the outside.

Peter: I saw a post somewhere of a DIY project where the person used an Ikea bag to make their BP/W into a carry-on backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used my SS backplate and put it in my carry-on roller bag with my wing and can light. I get a few other items in that bag as well. The bag was purchased since it was noted that it easily fits in the overheads. My reg goes in my "personal item" which is a soft briefcase style bag that fits under the seat in front of me.

IMHO the four pounds of weight doesn't make that much of a difference to the luggage and it is that much lead I don't have to put somewhere.

When I fly to dive... I usually am right at the weight limit. 4-5 Lbs in my favor toward other checked luggage is a big advantage. I'd rather spend the $50-75 for an aluminum plate rather than pay an overweight fee or for an extra bag. I usually travel with an AL plate when I fly, and leave my steel BP at home. If it's a matter of an extra bag, you just paid for the plate in 1 round trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom