Advice on a regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi my fellow divers. I'm kind of new to diving, only have 14 dives logged, and was thinking of buying my first regulator. I don't go diving all the time, so far the plan has been about once a year at dive resorts (going to Roatan in March) and Live aboards. The one I thought might be appropriate for my level of diving was Apeks XTX50. I would like to start diving with Nitrox so that's important, and I do plan on continuing with my diving, especially if I can get my partner to start diving with me. What do you all think? Is this a good choice giving my diving patterns? Is there something equivalent with a lower price point?

Just about any regulator these days is a good regulator. Some brands are little more expensive because they carry the premium name like Scubapro and Atomic, but that doesn't mean they are "better" than most of the others. Most important aspect is does it breath comfortably for you even at depth and can you afford it. If your LDS allows, try to see if you can dive the model you are interested in before you purchase.

Apeks makes a really good quality regulator. If that is the one you've picked out it should be jsut fine for recreational diving even with nitrox.

I've been a long time fan of Apeks regs.
It's their combination of performance, reliability and stability between (extended) services that I appreciate.

All their 2nd stages have identical gas performance....40's add heat sink for cold water and 50's, 100's and 200's add a cracking resistance knob to that.
The 1st stages are all diaphragm design that isolates the internals from the water which cuts down on internal corrosion and is one of the reasons it is such a stable reg which can handle long periods between servicing.
The higher priced models also add a second diaphragm for better cold water performance.....it's also said to be better for mucky water, but please let me never dive in water so dirty that a regular single diaphragm wouldn't be sufficient.

If you are looking to save a few bucks why not look at the XTX 20.

Other similar regs are:
AquaLung Titan LX
Zeagle Envoy
Edge/HOG

I also am not keen on soft plastic purge covers as they have a tendency to deteriorate and crumble after a few years....lighter colored ones also stain easily.
Of the list I've given only he Apeks and Hog have a solid cover with a regular purge button.

The Apeks XTX50 is a good choice. If you have tried it and are comfortable with it, go for it.
The XTX20 is not recommended for cold water.

The Apkes reg are very good, you will not be disappointed.

I'm a huge advocate of your own gear, you know how it works, you know how its serviced..... But really, If you really are just going once a year the rental fee will be less than the annual service. Just be aware of the condition of the rental.....

If you plan to ever dive in cold water, that probably isn't the best choice. From what I have heard, they are prone to free flow in cold water. But perhaps a different model. I use scubapro, but their products are pretty expensive and probably not worth it for just vacation diving.

I am also a big Apeks fan and dive the DS4/XTX50 combination on my doubles, had this down to 4degrees with no issues, quality brand, quality products.

Here's a review with 30 regs currently available - all price points and manufacturers.

TOP GEAR 2012

Thats a good place to start.
some points to consider are; what can my LDS service? Lifetime parts plan?
I've used apeks and aqualung for years in almost every kind of diving situation, I bet my life on them. Our shop uses aqualung titans for its rental fleet and they are bulletproof for open water divers. Also, check out the regs used for the deepest dive, might surprise you.

[h=1]Pascal Bernabé, 1084 feet.[/h]

Back
Top Bottom