I don't think you're doing it right...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viajero

Registered
Reaction score
Long story short, I did a discover scuba course and went into the open water with the DM with ZERO scuba diving experience (not even pool dives). We were 10 m into the water (I only found out after we surfaced) and started doing the hands-on exercises, such as clearing your mask, retrieving the mouthpiece, and blowing water out of the mouthpiece. Shouldn't we have done this at least in shallow waters?

Doesn't sound right to me. Were was this? Were you 10m down, or in 10m of water?

Long story short, I did a discover scuba course and went into the open water with the DM with ZERO scuba diving experience (not even pool dives). We were 10 m into the water (I only found out after we surfaced) and started doing the hands-on exercises, such as clearing your mask, retrieving the mouthpiece, and blowing water out of the mouthpiece. Shouldn't we have done this at least in shallow waters?

I would have expected to do these exercises in water shallow enough that you can head to the surface without undue risk, if you need to.
When/where did this happen?

What's the difference between "10 m down" and "10 m in the water"? I'm assuming I was 10 m below the surface of the water.

DD, this happened in Pattaya.

the difference is if you were suspended in the water or on the bottom (at a guess).

my first dive we went down to 7m+ odd if i recall. mainly because we were diving off a pontoon in the great barrier reef and that was all there was really.

it didn't occur to me at the time and up until now actually... but i was about 14 at the time so didn't think twice about it :)

Reactions: Jax
This is a major violation of what the PADI Discover Scuba standards direct.

Sounds like a lazy, unprofessional and dangerous dive operation.

I am unclear if the story is accurate. We are getting the details from an individual who has never dove, and the story is rather incomplete. 30' is shallow, but certainly not ideal for a first time training exercise. Water does not usually go from 0 to 30' so I would question why they would start you out at 30'? Many tropical beaches you may not hit 30' for a few hundred yards out.

Maybe tell us the entire story. The last time a Coz dive Op got drug through the mud it turned out that we did not have an accurate story until the Dive Op jumped in 100 posts deep.

30' is deep for training skills, but then again this is a go blindly discover scuba class. I never liked the idea of the discover scuba at the resort as the participants are diving without training, and there is not a 1:1 pro to student ratio.

I am unclear what point of the Op is trying to make. Did something go wrong?

When I did a discover dive at a resort in Cuba (before any type of certification), we did a 5min pool session (just learning to go up and down) and then went off a boat, following a guide down to around 30fsw using a line and touring the reef. No one in the group had any experience. Looking back after I got certified, I thought it was weird and slightly unsafe.

But from what I've read, this is pretty typical and actually not that dangerous.

I'm assuming I was 10 m below the surface of the water.

DD, this happened in Pattaya.

The problem here is you don't really know how deep you were. Did you start by dropping to the bottom, doing the skills, and then take a tour of the reef from there? Could it then be possible that you were shallow for the beginning and then dropped down as low as 10m during the swim around. If so, when you asked how deep you'd been, they told you the deepest number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom