Long hose config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the process of adding some new hoses to a set of regs and I thought I'd try out the long hose config. I'm currently using the bungy necklace for my octo on "standard" length hoses, which I just measured at 32 inches. They're a little longer than I like for the backup.

I'm considering a 5 foot hose for my primary and something shorter than 32 for my octo. What are some "typical" lengths for AAS hoses in the long hose config. I'm thinking I can easily go down to 26 inches but I'm not sure how short I can go and still get full range of motion out of the short hose. Is this a real concern?

22 to 24in is the standard, I like the 24in, it works well.

If you're a normal human being you'll probably be fine with 26". Some people go as short as 22". Try it out.

I use a 22inch miflex hose on my long hose reg configuration for doubles, it is the perfect size for me, if I went for the 24in it would bow out too much. Backup reg hangs perfectly in place - when I do single tank diving I just move the long hose over to the left post reg and I'm ready to go.

Thanks everyone... I'll go a little shorter and see how I like it.

With a STA you may want to opt for the 24in rubber hose on your bungee backup. With a back-inflate and a Bp/W (w/ STA) I found the 24in to be just right. Still a little bit of tug when turning my head left and up, but compared with a 22in i wasn't pulling the mouthpiece out the corner of my mouth.

26in will either bow out from your profile or push your backup to your left shoulder instead of keeping it under your chin.
I have a narrow frame and the 24in is just about on the edge of my profile.

The hose for the secondary reg is where the more flexible Miflex or braided Kevlar hoses shine. My single reg set is out for service, but it has either a 22" or 24" on the secondary and 7' for the primary. (I find the long Miflex hose a little too floppy and switched back to rubber for my doubles set-up, but they do pack nicely for travel.)

...//...I'm considering a 5 foot hose for my primary ...//...

-for whatever it is worth, I just can't get a 5' to work for me. The 7' and 22/24 combo works fine for me (with practice). "Practice" meaning you will find a way to secure the 7 footer so that it doesn't always work loose. Keep at it, worthwhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom