Hoodsport Dive Shop Closed On Tue & Wed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakjar

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For anyone how does not know, the Hoodsport Dive Shop is closed on Tuedays and Wednesdays. That of course means that you can not dive Sund Rock on those days unless you take the free hike down the trail.

I went this morning not knowing that the shop was closed. I tried finding the trail to hike but could not locate it.

The day was not a waste though, went down the road to Octopus Hole. High tide, rough seas and stronger then normal current did not make the dive any less enjoyable. My buddy and I went for the dive and had a good time. Saw a couple of Octos and Wolf Eels plus many other little critters. Approx 40 ft VIS.

I should stop rambling on. Just wanted anyone who did not know that the shop was closed. I hope I can get up there and dive Sund Rock sometime......

P.S. Is that why I did not get any replies to my post, am I the only one who did not know the shop was closed today. Ha Ha

Yep, found that out a couple months ago. We were able to get the key to Sund Rock from the guy who has the jewelry shop behind Hoodsport and Dive. You may try calling ahead to make arrangements. Also, I've gone out there on a weekend only to find out the private beach was closed. If they have a large dive class using the private beach you may be denied access. The last time we went there I called ahead to make sure the private beach was available and was told it wouldn't be a problem. When we got there we were told it was closed because of a scuba class. I complained that we called ahead and were told it would be okay, they eventually let us use the beach. Sund Rock is my favorite place to dive on Hood Canal and the private beach access makes it that much nicer. The $15.00 charge per diver is a little much though.

ColdH20diving,

If you are somewhere near Vancouver and I live in Portland, we should get together sometime and go up to dive the Rock.

Do you know where the trail is to get to the water without paying? Now don't get me wrong, I would pay and dive due to the fact I don't want to hike each time I need a new cylinder.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea they are closed during the week and I hope to do more diving during the week this year. Sund Rock is a great dive!

rakjar once bubbled...
ColdH20diving,

If you are somewhere near Vancouver and I live in Portland, we should get together sometime and go up to dive the Rock.

Do you know where the trail is to get to the water without paying? Now don't get me wrong, I would pay and dive due to the fact I don't want to hike each time I need a new cylinder.

You continue south on the highway past the turnoff into the beach area. There is a parking area at the top of the hill on your left. You have to hike down the trail, then surface swim quite a distance north to get back to the Rock.
BTW, the fee for beach access is not set by, not goes to the dive shop. It's owned by the RV park and set by them. And I agree, $15 is high. However, if you stay at the bunkhouse right beside the dive shop, Sund Rock access is included. The bunkhouse is similiar to camping out but having a roof.

MD

I and a fellow diver went up about a month ago to dive Sund, it was a Tuesday too! Oops! Won't do that again. The sign in the window said they were closed on Tue, but not Wed, is that new?

Joe

If it has changed, I would love to know it. I can go on Wednesdays....

rakjar:
ColdH20diving,

I live in Vancouver have a boat and go there often, with a boat no worries about access, send me a PM and we can get together for a dive sometime.

-SS

Instructions from Hood Sport N Dive for diving Sund Rock on Tuesday or Wednesday is to call ahead (360-877-6818) and make arrangements. They will leave a key with the silversmith (Allen) who has a shop behind the dive shop.

MD

Back
Top Bottom