Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacob Albert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey i am a "overwater" pro cameraman that really want to get into som UW videography.
Thought about doing some uw video courses on koh tao.. Its like 2 weeks training and some internship.
I dont mind doing small videos for tourists and not working with the most fancy gear in the world..
but.. I don need a course on how to do simple eidting and how to frame a picture and so on.

But i dont know if it would be better to spend the money and time on becoming a divemaster first. I guess that is the best way to become a good diver?
I am currently an advanced diver with 45 logged dives

(i have around 3 months)

Best regards Jacob

Hi Jacob, Why do you want to become a divemaster? If you want to do UW videography, why not take courses in that or courses that generally help to improve your diving? I'm actually doing DM right now. I'm enjoying it, but I do not think it's going to help my diving much at all. You get more into theory and get really good at basic skills, like mask clearing and of course you learn to supervise. The best reason to do DM is if you want to teach. If that's not the goal, there are other courses that might be better for you. If you are a pro on land, the biggest thing for you is probably getting the diving down and then adding the camera. You already understand the videography piece. Probably best is practice and then do some classes with U/W pros to help you with the transition to your new environment. Tom

Hey Tom!

Thank you for the advice..
But i am just assuming that to be a good uw cameraman you have to be a really good diver first.. for example if i want to film skiing/snowboarding i have to be pretty good a snowboarding not only a good cameraman.. And i just assume that a divemaster internship would be the best and most economic way to do that?

You will get much advice saying DM course is to get you into teaching and leading and not to improve your own diving. I believe this is mostly true. Where you would improve would be in safety, as you really must get your 20 basic skills down pat. Of course, you can do that also by lots of practise with an experienced buddy and save a bunch of money.

Jacob, what you need to take good videos u/w is very similar to what you need on the surface, a knowledge of photography, the knowledge needed to find and observe your desired subject, and a stable platform. You have the photograph knowledge, the subject knowledge comes with experience, what you can learn is how to be a stable platform. You will not get this by becoming a DM, far better for find a Fundies or Essentials course (at worst you might get something from a Buoyancy class).

Thank you
ill google the fundies/essentials classes!:)

I wa also just thinking that a DM internship would be nice, because there is unlimited diving for the 6-8 weeks you are there, you would have to learn a lot of basic skills ans so on.

But maybe i am just completely wrong?:)

I agree that divemaster training is not necessary, and not necessarily the best dive training to hone your photo and video skills. As far as courses, peak performance buoyancy would be very beneficial. The next best thing is hours and hours and hours of diving, to hone not only buoyancy control but also body control in a variety of conditions and wearing a variety of equipment. Your did not learn how to take a good picture only by reading a book. You learned that by doing and practicing and becoming proficient. The same is true with dive skills. You have to do it, and do it, and do it, so that you can focus on your photo and video, and not on basic dive skills. You will control buoyancy by breathing, you will get to a point where you can approach a subject without spooking it, and that takes time in the water. There is nothing wrong with getting all the formal dive training you can, but when it comes to taking good photos and videos, hours in the water is what makes you better.
DivemasterDennis

Good advice from thal and dmdennis. I use a largish dslr rig uw and went through the same things. Dive as much as you can. Master buoyancy. Increase task loading gradually. I'm now comfortable with everything and my basic results and I am now planning to work with Pros just to learn the things specific to the new environment. I imagine it should be the same process for you for video. Good luck.

Jacob I will start by saying an internship is good for the fact you will be in the water and honing your skills. I would not say for free for 8 weeks because the enormous cost of the course though. I took mine because it pushed me to the limits and made me reach farther then I have reached in life with reguards to the aquatic world. Divemaster will teach you a lot of patience and some great skills with alot of great happy memories of fellow divers in their beginning of their adventures.

Too many people enter the divemaster with hopes of being a professional and making money doing what they love and do not realize that its not what it appears. Most good divemasters who are trully divers at heart work regular jobs and do the divemastering on the side. They know its not a money maker and it will never be the exciting career it promises because the pay just is not either enough or none at all. The good divemasters are people who love the sport and are in it to share their knowledge and watch people grow.

Usually the course of time weeds out those who are in it for money as they usually drop out of it within a few years and then those who are divers at heart because they love it with everything that is in them. They come in knowing they wont make much if any money yet they make the commitment to get up every morning and be there for new divers who depend on them to make their diving memorable.

If you are wanting to hone your skills get a really good mentor and dive away. If you want to help new divers achieve their dream of diving and want to watch the dive world grow then go for a dive master. Also keep in mind the divemaster can lead the photography course. (one of the few things a divemaster can teach) and its a blast as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom