New diver gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nosnhoj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, recently certified and looking to buy my own gear. I figured being a new diver who plans to do as much local diving (Ontario) as i can + a few 'down south' dives year, i might as well buy.

I'm looking as spending about 2000$ and decided on a Zeagle stiletto, Atomic cobalt, and an aqualung titan lx supreme regulator.

My only question is regarding the computer. I love the tech toys, but is it overkill? its going to put me out close to 1000 bucks. Just looking for some opinions on my selections.

Thanks
G

IMO, it's not overkill at all. You picked one of the best all around BC's made so why go cheap on something as important as a computer. They only other ones I'd consider are the Mares Icon HD or Suunto Cobra3 or Vyper Air. The rest of the competition can't compare in quality or most importantly, customer service IMO. There are many more feature rich and more expensive computers available that would be overkill. You might consider an Atomic Z2 or B2 regulator. Requires less service intervals and is much easier breather. Keep in mind that I'm a biased Zeagle and Atomic freak. They have both served me well for many years with stellar customer service. Great quality and great customer service in the same company is hard to find these days.

G, It doesn't take much diving to justify having your own gear. And if you love tech toys it's a slope that is easy to slide down. If you have the budget there's certainly nothing wrong with your selections. They are all excellent products, though you can easily get a very good set of gear for half the price. I don't have any personal experience with the cobalt, but I admit to coveting it a bit. :D Aside from the price, the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger is the bulk of it. I use a wrist mount non-AI and am thinking of switching to AI and then reducing a hose (will carry a backup spg, but not dive with it unless needed). There are posts on SB relating to the computer and I'm pretty sure aside from price they are for the most part favorable. Perhaps someone who has one will chime in. Good luck and happy shopping! Tom

Personally, I would get a less fancy computer then put the saved money towards a drysuit. I know this might put you over your $$ limit but being comfortable in the water is more important than having a fancy computer.

I have a Cobalt. I agree it's slightly bulky but I never notice it when diving. The nicest feature of all that no competition can touch is ease of use. To this day, I've never opened the instruction book. It's just that simple and intuitive. It's "iPhone" simple to use. With my old computer, I'd spend 5-10 minutes on the boat trying to remember how to change O2 settings every time (and I do 100-150 dives a year). With the Cobalt, 5 seconds and it's done. I see so many people diving and just saying oh the setting is close enough because it's a hassle to reprogram or they need the book to do it.

Living in Ontario I would have drysuit at the top of the list. To save money you can purchase an equally as good cold water reg for less than half the price of the Titan. I would forgo the Stilleto and go with a BP/W, the Stilleto is probably 2LB positive while the BP/W with a stainless steel plate will be around 6LB negative. I would also go with a basic computer to start out and a simple brass pressure gauge I bet you could get both for under $300. While I was diving wet I had a dive season of around 4 months where the water and air temp were comfortable, now with a drysuit I'm more comfortable diving year round.

My first computer was an Aeris Atmos II and I still use it today. The current model is the Aeris XR2 Nitrox computer. You want Nitrox as you can not add this later and the difference in price is $20. I also dive the Aeris Epic but that's closer to $1000. Actually you can find them for less than $700 if you spend a little time researching. I noticed Aeris has a new line coming out. This means they may discount the XR2 further. The improvements will be minimal as there is nothing new in computer functionality outside of sexy displays using OLED. $1000 min price.

Aeris makes solid functional stuff that lasts. My Atmos is close to a decade old and works great.

Aeris XR-2 Nitrox Wrist Computer
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=AERIS_XR_2_Wrist
Aeris XR 1 NX Wrist Dive Computer discounts on sale Aeris

4 months up here will do me fine :) Icy water doesn't really appeal to me yet, if/when it does i'll look for a dry suit. I've scoped out a Bare elastek 7mm fullsuit with a 7mm vest - i figure that will be 'cool' for the summers up here.

I think all the opinions are great! really forcing me to think about what's best - with objective thoughts from each side!

Thansk

Living in Ontario I would have drysuit at the top of the list. To save money you can purchase an equally as good cold water reg for less than half the price of the Titan. I would forgo the Stilleto and go with a BP/W, the Stilleto is probably 2LB positive while the BP/W with a stainless steel plate will be around 6LB negative. I would also go with a basic computer to start out and a simple brass pressure gauge I bet you could get both for under $300. While I was diving wet I had a dive season of around 4 months where the water and air temp were comfortable, now with a drysuit I'm more comfortable diving year round.

I like the fact that the cobalt includes the pc cable. Ordering online from canada hurts when you tack on the duties and shipping. I can pick up this cobalt for 975...

I have to agree with Aqua-Andy. I would look at Hog regs a lower cost Nitrox computer and save my money for a drysuit. Once you get hooked on Ontario diving you will not be happy with just 4 months out of the year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom