Martini Effect -- No Consistent Definition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Definition: A nickname for the effects of Nitrogen Narcosis. The theory developed by divers is that every ten meters (33 feet) of depth is the equivalent of drinking a martini. At 30 meters (100 feet), the depth at which Nitrogen Narcosis becomes noticeable the feeling is said to be the equivalent of having consumed 3 martinis. 40 meters (130 feet) would be 4 martinis, etc.

[SIZE=+1]The comparison to having had "three Martinis" is apt, and it has been stated that one should consider the narcotic effect of one Martini for every 50 feet of sea water.[/SIZE]

Nitrogen narcosis is also called "the martini effect" because divers experience an effect comparable to that from one martini on an empty stomach for every 50 ft of depth beyond the initial 100 ft.

As you can see from these 3 random quotes from the web, there is no consistency among definitions of the Martini Effect.

Is the problem that it's purely subjective? Or is there actually a definition that's accepted by the scuba diving community?

It's as subjective as a martini itself - how many martinis you've had in the past, if they were Swedish martinis (gone in one gulp) or NYC martinis (the size of a fishbowl) (and let's not even debate if they're gin or vodka martinis ;-) ).

Narcosis is dependent on so many things - physiology, experience, water temp and clarity, gas mix, workload, stress, time of day, current mood etc that people use the idea of a martini depth to give an impression on the metal state of the diver, nothing more.

Given that one aspect of narcosis can be a dulling of senses (just like the real thing), you're best off trying to judge it by performing tasks at different depths and gases - math problems, puzzles etc. By diving more in different conditions, you'll soon start to see loose patterns emerge - use those to steer your diving prep.

Somehow I managed to get through 6,000 dives in 20 years without ever hearing of something called the martini effect. Maybe I'm narced.

I have personally thought that a dumb way to describe narcosis. Show's a lack of imagination and communication skills. It presumes a lot on the part of the reader. I've never had a martini - how would I know what that feels like? How can someone who does not drink relate to those types of "definitions". My wife would throw up drinking on an empty stomach. Is that narcosis?

I'm teaching a 10 year old right now....that definition is not very appropriate to explain the effects.

Does that definition cover the "dark narc" that some folks experience?

Just being old a crotchety this morning!

Notice I didn't answer your question? Each time I talk about narcosis in a class, I have to "read" my students and figure out what would be a reasonable descriptor for that unique group of people. It usually revolves around impaired judgement and coordination. Looking forward to reading the responses that I can add to the toolbox.

Bill

Alcohol isn't a fair comparison to Narcosis. It's more like nitrous oxide and there is no quantitative measure to the effect, as each person feels it and reacts to it differently :wink:

IMO, "Dark Narc" is the equivalent of the guy who smokes pot for the first time in his life and then freaks out.

Agree 100% that being narc'ed doesn't result in a drunk feeling for everyone (martini effect). I've been narc'ed many times and definitely have never felt like I'm drunk.

In my Basic YMCA SCUBA class back in the early 70's, we were taught " Martini's Law " - every 50' is equal to drinking a martini.

We were taught that just beacause you could pound martini's, didn't mean that you could go deep and not get Narced.

FWIW - there is no constant definition because even identical twins would likely experience narcosis in different ways....

maybe in this "new era", the old definitions need to be changed... like "Vicodin's Law" or "Heroin's Law" so the new age has a reference....:cool2:

I think it's embarrassing for agencies to even put that rubbish in their textbooks. It's inaccurate in so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom