The various scuba diving organizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FPDocMatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
gsk3:
That said, if you want standardization you should consider GUE. I haven't had a communications problem underwater with another GUE (or UTD) trained diver, ever. And that includes dives on both coasts, visitors from abroad, etc.

I am a member of PADI, but I understand there are other scuba diving organizations which one can join. I'd like to understand what they all are, what are the differences among them, etc.

I did join DAN (because they're oriented toward hyperbaric medicine, and have some cool courses for physicians), and Reef.Org (because I want to learn fish identification).

Let's say you have been trained by one organization, and go to a dive op, would they ever question your qualifications since you weren't trained by the organization they respect?

1) Your local dive club

2) REEF

Any card appropriate for the dive should be recognized. If they are in the WRSTC or NAUI you need not give it a second thought. Even to progressively train with a sequence of agencies rarely poses an issue.

OW PDIC
AOW NAUI
Rescue NAUI
Nitrox PADI
Ice PADI
Master SSI

The only disconnect was :15 minutes on basic rescue techniques at the beginning of NAUI AOW as PDIC did not go there.

Pete

Let's say you have been trained by one organization, and go to a dive op, would they ever question your qualifications since you weren't trained by the organization they respect?

as has been discussed before, the most likely two (2) cards you need for recreational scuba are:

(1) C-card (OW/AOW) and as stated, 99% are "accepted"
(2) Credit Card

optional to (2) - CASH (quite universally accepted)

I don't "belong" to any cert agency but I subscribe and pay for DAN insurance as any one with any more than a pea brain would. I certified OW with SDI simply because they skipped over the unnecessary things like tables and went directly to computers. Also, they let you do the brain work online. Later, when I got in a situation where I wanted to dive the Oriskany, all the dive shops around Orange Beach demanded that a diver must have AOW to dive it. So I got that cert with Key Dives in Islamorada who supported PADI. I would have liked to keep it with SDI but it wasn't available. DAN sends you a nice, slick magazine each month with all kinds of sales pitches in it, most of which I am not interested in, but occasionally there will be something in it which peaks my curiosity. Lots of nice pictures and stories of folks about whom I haven't a clue. Now and then I will get an offer to join some PADI group for some bucks a year which I figure is a waste of money so they go in the shredder like all the junk mail and other offers I get.

OW PDIC
AOW NAUI
Rescue NAUI
Nitrox PADI
Ice PADI
Master SSI

Oh, I figured that OW, AOW, etc were PADI certifications. But all these different agencies train in the same skills and issue certificates for the same levels of training!

[
Matt Beckwith;6247333]I am a member of PADI, but I understand there are other scuba diving organizations which one can join. I'd like to understand what they all are, what are the differences among them, etc.

Actually you are not a PADI member. Must be at pro level ..you are certified by PADI.

I am a member of PADI, but I understand there are other scuba diving organizations which one can join.

If by "Organizations" you mean training agencies there are quite a few more. IANDT, TDI, SSI, GUE, CMAS, etc. This list is in no way complete.

I'd like to understand what they all are, what are the differences among them, etc.

This will be quite a project.

I did join DAN (because they're oriented toward hyperbaric medicine, and have some cool courses for physicians), and Reef.Org (because I want to learn fish identification).

For most recreational divers agency reciprocity is not often a problem WRT dive ops, although I have had the experience of presenting a TDI card to a "DM" on a local boat who had no idea who TDI was, her entire career had been with Padi and she literally did not know there were agencies other than PADI. The boat captain did know however and all was good. It was however a useful illustration for both of us.

For training you *might* run into some problems with Agency B accepting a prerequisite course from Agency A. Most agencies have pretty similar course structure, but there can be small differences. Some (small number of) agencies hold that only their courses qualify as prerequisite.

If you choose to pursue technical training typically the number of instructors (from all agencies) is is far more limited. Many of these instructors are teach under multiple banners, for example they can provide you with both a IANDT and TDI "card" if you pass the requirements for both during the same course. This may entail taking two written tests, a few extra skills etc.

In the very much smaller world of Technical training most instructors either know each other, or know "of" each other. As many have said before, it's the instructor and not the agency that matters, interviewing your instructor candidates is time well spent.

Tobin

Check out the WRSTC for sport agencies (not all there but SOME are)

WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council

The situation in some European countries is mind-boggling... large numbers
Two of the most respected sport agencies are BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club) and CMAS.

NAUI is also missing from the list...

Tech agencies are a whole other kettle of fish.

To get started:

ANDI
IANTD
TDI
PSAI
NACD
NSS-CDS
GUE
UTD

Matt, no they do not. Just because PADI, NAUI, and SEI have an AOW class, never assume they are the same! Truth is that the differences in class structure, knowledge, and skills can be vastly different. To a large part the instructor does make a difference but agency standards also play a huge role in what you can get from a class. The higher the standards of the agency and the instructor the more valuable the class is likely to be.

My AOW class for example is not for everyone. I didn't intend it to be. I developed a class for divers who wanted actual new skills and knowledge beyond any agency standards including my own primary agency. The options for dives in the class are highly limited and only those that I felt would most benefit the student in the types of dives they would be likely to do with the card I gave them. I also developed a 6-8 hour classroom presentation, student guide, equipment recommendations, and entry requirements. It is also a pass or fail course. Certification in not guaranteed, training is. You earn the cert.

When I looked for an agency to allow me to offer some specialties that SEI did not have and that I did not have time to write myself I chose SDI/TDI. The reason being is that they have their roots in technical diving and I felt that the philosophy they have was similar enough to SEI and my own that there would be no ethical or moral conflicts with teaching their programs.

I'm still going through all the materials for the classes I plan to offer and am finding more and more things that I like.

Another thing you need to consider is that while many agency classes do crossover and you can seamlessly take one class from one agency and then one from another you can't always do this. For example take OW followed by AOW. I came up through the PADI system and took AOW two weeks after OW with only 4 dives in between. This could not occur with my AOW class. PADI OW alone does not meet the prerequisites for my AOW class. Nor does SSI or even SDI. The only agencies I will accept OW divers from with the minimum of ten dives after OW is NAUI, CMAS, BSAC, YMCA, La County, and IANTD. There may be others but those are the ones I am familiar enough with their standards to be ok with the entry level classes. The others for the most part do not teach to the same level I do in my OW class and fall short in the skills and knowledge I require a student to have prior to entering the class. Some old school PADI instructors still offer the same kind of instruction they did years ago and don't buy into the watered down versions and those divers I will also accept.

So for many divers I need to conduct an interview, set up skill evaluation sessions, remedial training, and in some cases tell them they need to get a few more dives in before they can enter my class. The reason is that the skills I teach and require are new, require a very solid foundation in basics, will task load the student to a greater degree, and if they are lacking in basic skills they will likely not make it through without getting frustrated and losing focus. That said no one has ever failed my course as I set it up so that students will succeed. I make sure they understand that these are the things they need to do before coming and they do it.

The course is arranged so that each dive is the foundation for the next. There is a natural progression in skills and knowledge that if achieved on the previous dives pretty much guarantess success on the next one. The only real way to fail is to get separated from your buddy twice or ingnore safety rules and guidelines more than once. Do the latter and the class is immediately over for you and no cert is issued or refund given.

I have set the bar pretty high for myself and my students and the agency allows me to do this. Some agency's standards do not allow instructors to add to their curriculum and test on those conditions as a requirement for certification. Mine not only allows it but requires us to do it wherever it will benefit the student. The agency does not certify divers. The instructor does. All the agency does is establish guidelines, produce materials according to those guidelines, and print the card.

The instructor decides who has earned a cert and who perhaps has not. That is the way it should be. As a student with my name on your cert card your knowledge and skills are a direct reflection of me first. Not of the agency. I take that very seriously and very personally. So I do everything to insure that the student is someone I want people to look at as an example of good training. I do everything to insure a love of the sport so people keep diving on a regular basis. I really do not want to train the person who plans to do a couple dives a year only on vacation. It is the rare diver that can do this and stay sharp. I want to train the diver who will look at nearly any body of water and say "hmmm, maybe I can dive that" and then try to.

Back
Top Bottom