Need multi-trip travel insurance. Anybody have a recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Gang,

I've been with Diveassure for years and always bought their "Diamond Multi-trip" which covered all of my dive-related travel insurance for the entire year. I like that because I always make more than 1 trip. Well, they discontinued that. Now they only do travel insurance on a per-trip basis and if I add up the costs for the 3 trips I have booked this year it's more than double what I was paying.

I called DAN and they only offer per-trip as well.

Anyone have a recommendation for travel insurance that offers a policy to cover me on a yearly basis instead of per-trip?

To be very clear, I am NOT looking for medical. I already have that with DAN. I'm looking for trip insurance to cover non-refundable deposits from liveaboards, resorts, airlines, etc in the event of some eventuality like a hurricane or getting the flu 2 days before I'm supposed to leave.

Thanks!

-Charles

It's called: "Making more money without adding any product to the sale. Or:
s*****g the customer." Sort of like auto insurance companies charging you extra for each and every motor vehicle you have instead of insuring you as an individual.

Annual travel insurance is sold in the U.K.

When I googled annual travel insurance several years ago, a bunch came up that were based in the U.S. Maybe you can try that.

I use Wide Horizons by TD Meloche Monnex, which covers a whole family for $121 Cdn per year for up to 2 months out of the province/area at a time for unlimited travel over a year. That price is for people who have other insurance with them, such as a home and/or car. I'm not sure if they only insure Canadians, but if so, there must be other companies with annual travel insurance. Their website is at Comprehensive and Affordable Travel Insurance

To be very clear, I am NOT looking for medical. I already have that with DAN.
I don't think DAN offers medical coverage. You may well be covered elsewhere, but not there.

When I googled annual travel insurance several years ago, a bunch came up that were based in the U.S. Maybe you can try that.
Yep, several to compare, and sites that will offer comparisons.

Gang,

I called DAN and they only offer per-trip as well.

I already have that with DAN.

-Charles

DAN's Preferred Plan has some trip insurance in it. It is a lifetime limit, but until you use it, you may not need to buy a separate policy. Talk to DAN again and see if it is what you need:

[h=2]Preferred Plan[/h]The Preferred Plan costs $75 per person per year in addition to your DAN membership dues and includes the following:
$250,000 (per incident) coverage+ for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth

up to $15,000 (principal sum) in accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered diving accident++

up to $15,000 (principal sum) in permanent total disability benefits resulting from a covered diving accident++ incurred at any depth

$10,000 (maximum lifetime benefit, subject to a $250 deductible) coverage for eligible charges from the treatment of nondiving accidents outside your home country

Dive trip cancellation: $10,000 (maximum lifetime benefit, subject to a $250 deductible) coverage for insured person's losses incurred for trip cancellation before departure due to a sickness or injury that would impair the ability to dive.

Dive vacation interruption: $5,000 (maximum lifetime benefit, subject to a $250 deductible) coverage for insured person's losses incurred for trip interruptions after departure due to a sickness or injury that would impair the ability to dive.
If you are involved in a covered diving accident, the Preferred Plan also provides:
up to $3,000 for accommodations
up to $2,500 for lost dive equipment
up to $2,000 for an airline ticket

DAN's Preferred Plan has some trip insurance in it. It is a lifetime limit, but until you use it, you may not need to buy a separate policy. Talk to DAN again and see if it is what you need:
Yes, and $10K accident coverage out of country, but hardly comprehensive.

I suggest you look at some of the benefits your receive fro American Express if you pay for your trip with their card, or book through their agency. I also think they offer travel insurance at a very reasonable rate. Anyway, it's an alternative you may want to look into.
DivemasterDennis

American Express cover is pretty poor. You pay at least $200 and get $1,000 trip interruption coverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom