DIR and Stroke Approved Turkey Recipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Chris Painter's Roasted Turkey Breast

Ingredients

5-6lb Turkey Breast ( Never Frozen )
1/2 Stick of Butter
Herbed Chicken Season Mix
2 Red Potatoes
1 Sweet Onion
1 Package of sliced Portobello Mushrooms
Small Bag of Baby Carrots

Directions
Preheat oven to 325F
Soften butter in microwave for 20 seconds
Remove turkey breast from packaging. Remove any neck, giblets and/or packing materials.
Rinse turkey in cold water and allow to drip dry momentarily.
Clean potatoes then chop up into small wedges.
Peel and rinse onion. Take 2 thick slices from the center. Break rings out of the slices.
Rinse and break mushroom slices in half.
Rinse carrots
Combine above vegetable an place in 13x9 baking pan.
Place turkey lengthwise in a 13x9 on top of vegetables.
Pour softened butter over the turkey and rub in.
Generously sprinkle seasoning mix over the turkey and vegetables.
Insert meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast.
Fold a piece of aluminum foil in half and drape over the turkey securing to the pan. Pleace the foil so that the meat thermometer can be observed.
Place pan in oven so that the thermometer can be observed.
Bake until meat thermometer reads 165f. Remove aluminum foil after 1 hour.
Let turkey stand for 20 minutes before carving.

Wait a minute...

How could this be DIR? There's no beer, no cajon seasoning, no worchester sauce, no peanut oil, no propane... I could list a whole bunch of others too. LOL

Thanks for the recipe. R

1 turkey (12 to 22 pounds...depends on guests)
1 turkey frier
5 gal of peanut oil for frying

if you want, you can marinade the turkey overnight with some beer, salty water, and herbs....if you do so...be sure to get enough beer to entertain yourself and your friends

If you'd like...you can also put a cajun rub on the turkey, but this doesn't do much to a fried turkey other than flavor of the skin unless you are injecting the cajun spice rub in liquid form into the breasts, wings, legs, and back of the turkey

Heat oil to 375....

Carefully drop in bird....cook for 3.5 minutes per pound....drink beer for approximately same amount of time turkey is frying...peridoically check the oil temp (try to keep it between 360 and 385....oil tends to burn around 400 and that's just not good...too low and the turkey tends to soak up the oil...also not good.)

Remove bird from oil and check temp (160 internal for the breast meat)

Let said hot bird stand for 10 minutes....try not to pick at the delicious skin...the bird comes out much more tender if you leave him alone....

RavenC once bubbled...
Wait a minute...

How could this be DIR? There's no beer, no cajon seasoning, no worchester sauce, no peanut oil, no propane... I could list a whole bunch of others too. LOL

Thanks for the recipe. R

This recipe is DIR because it uses a holistic approach reducing the preparation to its most simplistic form. Oh, and also because I say it is.

Its stroke friendly also because it tastes so damn good.

Raven told me about this a while ago but I have never tried it. During our Thanksgiving our family of 7 got together over a 25 pound bird. Believe it or not most of the bird was gone. The rest we had a food fight with. LOL :D

Fried turkey seems to be a southern thing that is gaining in popularity. I havn't tried it in earnest yet. A guy at work did it a few times, but he cooked it the night before, refridgerated it and then brought it to work the next day.

I didn't like it.

But if it was fresh on the table, my opninion would probably be different. Until then, I prefer roasted.

Well, I don't live in the south, and I've been frying birds for about 3 years now...it is not a "new" thing to me.

Maybe it stems from my love of deep frying all kinds of foods...I've never put one overnight in the fridge after frying...that doesn't sound too much like tasty eats to me. I think Fried turkeys take less time to prep and cook...plus you can do them while camping...plus they are tender as all get out.

Don't get me wrong, I still love an oven turkey, but where's the fun and danger in an oven? One benefit of an oven turkey is that you can fill the cavity with rosemary, garlic, and other spices and sort of steam the bird from the inside out....a very delicious treat as well

A smoked bird is also an option...if done correctly...I've had both good and bad smoked birds...but I don't think smoked is as good as a fried or oven bird.

I like turkey

If you pump the bird with marinade and serve it shortly after cooking, it is very good.

I've been told coating the bird with mustard is pretty good too. I'm going to try skinning, stripping fat, and coating with mustard.

Any meat cooked and then refrigerated is going to have some moisture issues. Some meats and preparation methods deal with it better than others.

Yes, fry it.

Danger egh egh egh (Butthead and Beavis voice). :D

Don't skin it, that's some of the best parts. As Big t mentioned, just try not to pick at it I dare ya. And, don't refridgerate a fried bird. Come to think of it, there usually isn't anything left to refridgerate.

I too like an oven bird but deep fried is the best. Taste better, juicier, quicker... yeah.

I am hungry now. I can hardly wait 'til next. :D R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom