Advice Needed for Wet Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moniem77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Divers,

How many millimeters should my my diving wet suit be ?

Should i buy a shorty?

i am diving mainly in summer time in the Red Sea in Egypt (tropical sea)?

brand advise?

Each diver experience cold/heat differently and have diff requirements. I have dive Dahab and Sharm and the waters in the Red Sea is generally very warm. I dived with a 3mm suit on longer deeper dives (100ft) and a shorty or swimwear and rash guard on short/shallower dives. I would buy a 3mm suit but that is based on my requirements I think it's a good all-rounder for the Red Sea.

As "ajduplessis" has mentioned each diver experiences temperature differently as such it's very hard to answer your question. I, for example, wear a full 5mm In Thailand and am fine, tried a 3mm and was cold. Locally I wear a 2piece 7mm FJ with hood down to around 62 Im fine anything below that Im out of the water. It's better to be too warm than too cold in a wet suit, you can always open the neck and flush. If cold there is not a lot you can do to then get warm. Whatever you go with I'd recommend a full suit for sun protection and the occasional stinging creature. Although I haven't dived in Egypt my understanding is that it can get cool depending where and when you dive. Im not sure Egypt would be classed as "tropical" perhaps more "temperate". Good luck.

I've never dove the Red Sea but a buddy of mine was working in Saudi Arabia some years back and he told me that you don't need a wetsuit in those waters. He worked outside on construction all his life and is from the North so that might have had an impact.

Maybe rent a few from the LDS to get a feel for what you like/need. I would be thinking a 3 mil full-suit or maybe a 3 mil Farmer John/Jane. I really like the versatility of my Farmer John...I can add a long-sleeve top if I am a little cold.

You might want to give the SCUBAPRO EverFlex new 1mm Tropical Steamer a try.

If you get cold easy, then go with an EverFlex 3/2mm.

+1 Everflex 3mm streamer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom