PADI E-Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatevva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a nice email saying that I could download the PADI program to my Iphone and get all of my certifications put in there so i didn't need to carry cards.

Downloading the program was easy. Then I was made aware that you have to BUY the Ecards at a PADI dive center or online. I figured it might be worth a couple bucks so I went through the process.

They wanted $47 for each certification!!

My email to them read:
"Do you REALLY think I’m going to pay $47 EACH for you to send my certifications to my phone.????

You’re out of your freaking mind!!!!!"

$47 for a certification you already have is crazy. I know with SSI you can pull all of your certifications up on their website if you happen to forget them and print them out. I guess you could show them to someone on your phone also. The site shows the certification with dates and such and even has a picture of the actual card.

When I read this thread and went and looked and behold SSI has an app too. I downloaded it and logged in. It shows all of my certification information and pictures of the cards. It also has a sections showing hand signals, dive checklists and all kinds of diving tables. It is pretty cool.

I'm under the impression it's $37 for one e-card for one of your certifications, but still insane, and terrible public relations. If anyone was 'on the fence' about the derisive quip that PADI = 'Put another dollar in,' well, I think this might shove a few people off the fence.

Use your smart phone's camera to photo your cards, or scan them.

Richard.

I was in Maui last month and stopped in a dive shop to rent tanks for my wife and myself. I forgot to bring her e-card, but the shop confirmed her on line, no e card needed. ( She has a PADI certification) Is it so hard to carry a plastic certification card with you? Instead of dropping $37 or $47, we older people can handle toting around the plastic. You can buy a lot of beer (or a nice pair of booties, or 2 scuba snobs t-shirts0 for that amount of money!
DivemasterDennis

They wanted $47 for each certification!!

My email to them read:
"Do you REALLY think I’m going to pay $47 EACH for you to send my certifications to my phone.????

You’re out of your freaking mind!!!!!
Please post their reply. Inserting :popcorn:cause there's no holding your breath icon.

Take pictures of your cards with your phone for backup...and keep them on there...or scan them to .pdf and keep the file on your phone.

Anyone ever hear of P.T. Barnum?

I usually stand up for PADI (heck, they even asked me to one time), but this is one move I just don't get. I carry a couple of cards (deep for when I'm not feeling like letting my level be known, MI when I am), but I can't actually remember the last time anyone has actually asked to see it.

Back
Top Bottom