Better value with a more expensive mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I lost my primary mask and snorkel on a rough shore entry last week. I had bought it for my OW class 2 years ago and the mask cost around $30.

My husband has since switched to a $100 mask that he loves, but his primary reason for upgrading his mask is so that he could get prescription lenses.

Does it make sense for me to shop all over the price range for a new mask? If my old mask worked okay should I just go buy another? It use to leak sometimes and I'd have to clear it mid-dive, but I'm not sure if that is normal.

Thanks for any advice you can give. I think I have an average woman's face. I wear a size large hood, so maybe a large head for a woman.

Masks are all generally the same. The most important part is fit. I'd try on a range of masks until I found one that fit properly and didn't leak.

Some masks have a drain valve, but that's just another part that could malfunction, and I personally prefer the masks without that feature. Some masks are clearer, so you have a wider range of view.

But no matter how many features it has and how expensive it is, if it doesn't fit properly, it's useless. A leaky mask is annoying.

If it has a silicone skirt (clear or black, your choice) tempered glass lenses and a sturdy strap you're good to go. As always fit rules. Almost many mask will leak on some dives if you twist turn, grimace or laugh so an occasional need to clear is fine.

There have been several posts/threads about masks, the constant is always fit...New materials such as clearer glass, softer silicone, user friendly buckles, low volume-vs-high volume and the number of 'windows' are all personal preferences.....Try as many as you can, don't worry about price...You'll know when you find the right one....

Unless you have figured out how to prevent another loss, you might as well stay with an inexpensive OK mask. One way to reduce the chance of loss in heavy surf is to lose the snorkel.

There have been several posts/threads about masks, the constant is always fit...New materials such as clearer glass, softer silicone, user friendly buckles, low volume-vs-high volume and the number of 'windows' are all personal preferences.....Try as many as you can, don't worry about price...You'll know when you find the right one....

I agree, if a $20 mask fits that is the right one, if a $120 mask fits well suck it up because that is the one for you. There is nothing more annoying than going through a give with an ill fitting mask. The way I look at it is diving is a pain in the butt. If you are not comfortable, that means you will not be having any fun and there for you will stop diving. If you only had to clear your old mask once a dive and it had no other problems I would say just get another one of what you had. Right now I'm diving with a $30 mask but my arms seem to be shrinking and I can't read my computer and compass as well as I could in the past. I'm going to have to eat my words when one of my buddies sees me with a gauge reader mask:dork2:. When he got his I asked him if it came with an AARP card:D.

I am currently using a pretty standard mask that cost @ $35. I bought a mask with the purge feature a few years ago and like it too.

Before my last trip to Hawaii (March 2011) I upgraded to a very nice Atomic mask. It was a very comfortable and well fitting mask...I really liked it. I lost this mask in the Comal River New Year's Eve. I would like to replace it with another just like it but I don't really want to spend another $100 or so bucks on what may well be another "disposable" mask.

Find one that fits your face and that is comfortable...hopefully you can find one you like in the $30-50 range.

No need to spend $100 on a mask unless you have a weird face and that's the only mask on the market that will fit you. Personally, I lose masks at a clip of a couple a year (I'm just like that, not really sure why) so the $30 low volume masks work just fine for me.

I don't get how any $100 mask can be a "better value" if you know a $30 mask will fit. A mask is a mask as long as it's tempered glass and fits. The cost is just marketing and takes away from potential dive trips in the future.

i have 2 of the mares liquid skin masks (~$75 each) they are my backups now. I am diving a Sea Max something - which fits 1000% better. Go with what fits best and don't pay too much attention to the cost.
the price is inmaterial to the fit. You may fit a $30 mask better than a $100 or vice versa.

Also if i lose something on a boat, i'd rather lose the $30 mask that fits, but either way i'm not going to put my self in danger because of any dropped item.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom