Working underwater, trying to make a buck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryLucas

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys.

I'm in love with diving and i've been starting to wonder that maybe i could make a little money at nights or weekends doing this.
I'm just curious, if there is a possibility to put an add in the paper as a diver....to help i guess.

I really don't know what things there would be to do for people but, there has to be some things that someone would hire a diver to do for them for a few bucks? Right?

Or maybe i'm completely wrong on this. But if anyone has any ideas of what kind of services i could offer that would help people out or things that you may have already done for people in the past. It would really help me out.

Thanks,
Gary

I would guess that a lot of the things somebody would hire a non-professional scuba diver for wouldn't be the kind of fun experiences that got you hooked on the activity, so it could just spoil it for you. Stuff like diving in water hazards for golf balls, working in marinas to look for dropped property, clean the hulls of boats, etc. (though for hull-cleaning you may need to go through some sort of hazards training so you don't get electrocuted, and you may need liability insurance for the event that you damage a vessel while cleaning it).

I would think it would be more logical to just work a different second job on weekends and spend the money doing dives that are actually FUN!

Hey guys.

I'm in love with diving and i've been starting to wonder that maybe i could make a little money at nights or weekends doing this.
I'm just curious, if there is a possibility to put an add in the paper as a diver....to help i guess.

Hey Gary, way back in the dark ages of 1976, my buddy Mark had a similar idea. He was the first of us to get certified, and figured he'd help defray scuba expenses by offering his (scuba) services in a classified ad in the Austin American Statesman. The first and only response to his ad was from a couple of lovely Coeds from UT, who hired him to cut their grass that summer. They asked him to take his shirt off, and wear his short jean cutoffs while he worked... Sweet gig!

I'd get an ad in the paper right away if I were you...

Ok i see your points.

I definatly wouldnt want to ruin the sport for myself. I think maybe ill just leave it at that. Thanks for the tips.

I could have rid you of that thought if you had joined me on the 7, 90 minute dives under an oil tanker a couple of weeks ago. I got the underwater gear, lucky me.

It was unloaded so the top of the rudder was at the surface. She was at anchor and there was a slight chop. Fun fun fun...

luckily I am already past the "fun" stage of every dive so I am not in any danger of it being spoiled for me :D

In Ontario if you charge for any diving services you are classified as commercial diving with all the associated regulations and restrictions the list of which is extensive.

Oh well that settles it ! ha i think i will pass on that thought i had. You guys have some good points and i wouldnt want to get in trouble or take the fun out of a dive. So ill stick to the smiles.
thanks

Go back to school and take up engineering or better yet be a doctor or dentsit they have certification cards for prinitng money and for god sakes stay out the diving business or you'l be broke for life as only an idiot would open up a dive shop in this economy when your bread and butter Fins, Mask and Snorkels can be purchased at Cosco at retail for less than your whole sale dealer purchase price. :(

Go back to school and take up engineering or better yet be a doctor or dentsit they have certification cards for prinitng money and for god sakes stay out the diving business or you'l be broke for life as only an idiot would open up a dive shop in this economy when your bread and butter Fins, Mask and Snorkels can be purchased at Cosco at retail for less than your whole sale dealer purchase price. :(

What about opening up a dive shop where there is no Cosco?

That won't help either LOL! Ebay is full of good quality gear dive shops are trying to sell off to keep there heads afloat. Just existing makes no business sence let go of the gold bars or you will sink and drown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom