Wood's Cove - Our First Visit [HD Video]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
Nicole had been trying to get us to dive Wood's Cove in Laguna Beach for quite some time, but between bad weather, gear issues, and other sites taking precedence, it just hadn't happened. This past Saturday, Jen, Nicole, and I finally made it down there. It was a *gorgeous* day (sunny, warm, flat seas) and we soon geared up and headed down the several flights of stairs to the beach. No surf meant we could enter just across from the kelp.

We soon submerged into waters just teeming with life. We saw many of the usual Laguna critters (blacksmith, moray eels, sheephead, and one or two garibaldi), plus a gigantic school of juvenile fish in the shallows (perhaps some type of perch?). We spent almost 90 minutes slowly kicking around the reef and between the healthy kelp. Definitely our best shore dive of 2012. If you haven't yet been, this site is worth a visit.

While visibility was decent, between the particulate in the water and my rather poor lighting placement (and some questionable camera settings), I wasn't thrilled with the video we got, but in any case, here's a taste of what you can expect at Wood's Cove.

[If you have a good highspeed connection, choose "HD" for better quality.]

[vimeo]38050067[/vimeo]

Either you have one of the best cameras in the world or vis was much better on Saturday. I was there Sunday morning and while the beach looked like a lake it almost looked like an algae bloom was starting. It was getting bad around 30' towards the outside of the kelp.

Very nice video! I can only hope one day my videos turn out that nice, but then I would also need better equipment......

nice video

Thanks for watching!

Either you have one of the best cameras in the world or vis was much better on Saturday. I was there Sunday morning and while the beach looked like a lake it almost looked like an algae bloom was starting. It was getting bad around 30' towards the outside of the kelp.

Very nice video! I can only hope one day my videos turn out that nice, but then I would also need better equipment......

Really appreciate the nice comments! Too bad about Sunday. We were *so* close to coming back that next morning since we had so much fun on Saturday. There was some particulate in the water (which is pretty apparent in some of the footage I didn't use, and made worse by my poor lighting on my part at times), but overall it wasn't too bad.

I must say, though, it was an outstanding dive, especially the 30+ minutes we spent at the end in less than 15'. This easily beat the eight dives we did off Anacapa the weekend before...

It is also one of my favorite spots when the surf is calm. But once the surf and surge pick up it can be quite a ride.

Very nice video. Thanks

It is also one of my favorite spots when the surf is calm. But once the surf and surge pick up it can be quite a ride.

It was big surf (even when other Laguna sites were unaffected) that primarily kept us away in the past. Given how shallow the site is, I can definitely see wanting to avoid it on all but the calmest of days. Thankfully, this past Saturday worked out well for us! :)

Very nice video. Thanks

Really appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment!

Nice video! Where are the scooters?

Thanks!

Still need more practice with the new rig before trying to add back the scooters. The old setup had the camera integrated, so it was a breeze. Shooting while riding is so much, though, I hope the wait isn't too long! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom