D7000 + external lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheYellowSubmarine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I've just upgraded to my first DSLR - D7000 with Nauticam housing.
I have the Tokina 10-17mm and Nikon 60mm

Although I won't be using diopters until I'm comfortable with just the 60mm macro, I was wondering if the following lens is the same as a diopter lens:
underwater.com.au | Product | DYRON Macro lens UCL67II
I have this from my compact setup and deciding whether to keep it for the D7000 for the future.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I've just upgraded to my first DSLR - D7000 with Nauticam housing.
I have the Tokina 10-17mm and Nikon 60mm

Although I won't be using diopters until I'm comfortable with just the 60mm macro, I was wondering if the following lens is the same as a diopter lens:
underwater.com.au | Product | DYRON Macro lens UCL67II
I have this from my compact setup and deciding whether to keep it for the D7000 for the future.

Cheers!

Diopters are not normally used with the 60mm because you won't be get much more magnification than your 60mm alone. Diopters works by cutting down the minimum focusing distance of a lens, so it is best used with a longer lens like the 105mm.

Diopters are not normally used with the 60mm because you won't be get much more magnification than your 60mm alone. Diopters works by cutting down the minimum focusing distance of a lens, so it is best used with a longer lens like the 105mm.

This being said, and I understand the reasoning, I know some people who actually DO use the 60mm with a dioptre and prefer using a lower powered dioptre, such as the Dyron in question, with the 60 with satisfaction, rather than the 105 with a higher level of magnification. I personally would stick with the 105 for super macro work, but that's just my cup of tea. So try it out, I mean you already own it, you might prefer it over the 60 alone. You do lose focus to infinity so the downside is it can be harder to find your subject through the viewfinder at first.

I nearly always use a diopter with the 60 as then I can back off and get more lighting on the subject....or I can use it as a "poor man's" 105ish sort of lens.

Jack

I nearly always use a diopter with the 60 as then I can back off and get more lighting on the subject....or I can use it as a "poor man's" 105ish sort of lens.

Jack

Jack, are we talking about a wet diopter, such as Woody's diopter, or a dry diopter on the lens? What strength? Could you post a picture or two?

I used to use a Woody's mostly, but am switching to a +5 screw on.

443298405_f72ef0df3d_z.jpg

2399519273_a44f9cf16f_z.jpg

417282285_f85d9af310_z.jpg

Yes, the Dyron macro lens is the same as a diopter lens.

I'd suggest a teleconverter with a 60mm lens
Using teleconverters in your underwater photography|Underwater Photography Guide

or a diopter that is not too strong, like the Subsee +5 (The Dyron +7 will work also). I prefer to use the stronger diopters with a 105mm lens, like lamwayne said, so I have a little more working distance. But everyone has their preferences. Good luck! - Scott

Back
Top Bottom