How to clean and dry gloves after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Recently I dived with new scuba gloves and they do not dry out after a few days and now they are stinky! How do I clean and dry 5mm scubapro gloves? I also have this problem with my superthick 8mm wetsuit and lava rock thermals that are worn under the wetsuit for cold water diving.

Cool, thanks! I wonder why the local dive shops here in the bay area never mention this to new divers?

I know!

I wonder why they don't just SELL them. They all complain that business is down, but they just don't think beyond their traditional scuba suppliers.

BTW, they also work very well for your wetsuit booties.

I have reef gloves, 5 finger 7 mil gloves and 3 finger mitts. I just rinse them inside and out thoroughly after every dive. They never smell at all. Of course my wife says I can't smell anything.

@fisheater, agreed- I suggest to my LDS to sell a few useful products like this that they don't carry. If I was a business owner, I'd sell products that clients are interested in or could use. Helps generate revenue and profit. There is also a useful tank carrier device that I could not find in the local dive shops here that is useful instead of throwing out your back hauling heavy gear 500 yards from the parking lot to the beach for shore diving.

I used to loop the velcro wrist strap around a hanger and hang it up on a PVC clothes rack or a generic clothes rack from Ross or Marshalls.
The wetsuit would go on a heavy duty hanger.

Now days I use the special UK BC hanger and accessory hanger.

Most of my stuff dries within a day or two in the garage. The trick is to rinse it in fresh water, and hang it an insulated room with air flow.
Nothing special. You could spend money on a drying rack, but it's not that tricky to do without one.

I turn my gloves inside out and lay them on a generic clothes drying rack - My old boots could also be turned inside out, though the new ones can't. I do like the look of those boot and glove driers though

For those of us without a dryer, I find direct sunlight is the quickest way to dry and to eliminate odor. I understand that the neoprene may break down quicker with direct sunlight exposure, but I have noticed that as a problem. Also, soaking in "sink the stink" or equivalent product will get rid of the smell, but you still have to dry them. Last resort- put in tumble dryer on air fluff setting- no heat.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom