Banda Sea snake dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is the famous sea snake dive in Banda at Gunung Api (close to Banda islands) or Manuk (which is more isolated).Or are the snakes common at both sites.

Also are both volcanos active (lava/smoking??)

I have been doing some research for a trip this Oct/Nov.

I assume a trip from Alor to Ambon would visit both sites whereas a trip from Ambon to Sorong would only visit Gunung Api.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The snake dive is at the more isolated volcanos, not the one in the center of the Banda islands. I dived there on the Alor to Ambon crossing. Simply surreal. Fat long snakes bumping into you to see what you are... The "shower" of commuting snakes going up and down in the blue... Definitely unforgetable and unique. After three dives there though, no one would join me for a night dive. I wonder why?

BTW, the sand is warm to the touch but I saw no other sign of volcanic activity. The one in the Banda Islands was still smoking when I dived there but that was a long time ago. A good dive but too much ash / hardened lava at the time to be great. That was more than 20 years ago though.

On a trip from Ambon to Sorong you will not pass Gunung Api. Gunung Api is quite far away from Banda. The only way to visit one of the snake islands is to do Maumere or Alor to Ambon in Oct/Nov or in March/April in the opposite direction. Manuk is on the outer arc. Liveaboards either go Gunung Api, Lucipara-Penyu Islands to Banda or they follow the outer arc via Manuk to Banda.
I did this trip last year in the opposite direction from Ambon to Maumere. Have a look: Michael Bode's videos on Vimeo

Back
Top Bottom