Thinking of going further in my training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smithfielddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 53 years old and have made it to the Naui Master Diver level. I started going for Divemaster a couple of years ago and got kind of burnt out after all the class dives at the local quarry and the late nites at the pool and my regular job. I kind of dropped it then and laid low for awhile. During that time I helped with getting my wife certified and then we took a year off due to a really expensive Wedding for my oldest daughter. Lately I have been thinking about continuing my training and going for the Divemaster and or Instructor level. I love to dive and liked helping out with new students. I just don't know if it is practical to continue the training at my age. I still want to help in some way. Any thoughts from the board?

It's always a good time to do something good for yourself. Find a job you love and you will never work another day in your life.

I regularly have instructor candidates that are older than you in class. I you are reasonably fit and healthy your age is no problem. Some of the other course directors I work with are also quite a few years older than you - age is only a number.

I think the biggest question is do you want to dedicate that much of your discretionary time to instruction or would you just rather enjoy the sport with your wife. Further training is much more about how to teach diving than is is making you a better diver.

Some find it to be a nice part time gig into retirement so if you're up to it I see no reason not to go for it.

Pete

I am 53 years old and have made it to the Naui Master Diver level. I started going for Divemaster a couple of years ago and got kind of burnt out after all the class dives at the local quarry and the late nites at the pool and my regular job. I kind of dropped it then and laid low for awhile. During that time I helped with getting my wife certified and then we took a year off due to a really expensive Wedding for my oldest daughter. Lately I have been thinking about continuing my training and going for the Divemaster and or Instructor level. I love to dive and liked helping out with new students. I just don't know if it is practical to continue the training at my age. I still want to help in some way. Any thoughts from the board?

I would suggest you are overthinking it.

I did myfirst dive @ 50. Now 52, I'll be doing AOW and who knows what else this year.

A friend moved to Malaysia last summer. He's 4 - 5 years older than me. I told him that given where he was going, he REALLY needed to give this diving thing a try. He has done OW, AOW, EAN for sure, not sure what other courses he has in mind, but since last September (ish, not 100%) has done probably 50 dives and is doing some personal training / coaching on his swimming.

As "they" say, age is but a number, and you get to choose what that number does - or doesn't - mean to you.

Go for it.

I was older than you when I got my first instructor certification.

On the other hand, there are lots of ways you can go further with your education without going into instruction. It all depends upon what you want to do. If you want to instruct, go for it. If you are just interested in more advanced scuba training and diving, there are lots of ways you can go that many people don't know about.

I was 52 when I became an instructor ... and have been teaching now for eight years. I don't expect to stop teaching for at least another 10 or 12 ... maybe longer if my health holds up.

If it's something you want to do, go for it ... 53 ain't all that old, yanno ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I got my DM at 57. My husband got his instructor cert at 60. He's teaching up a storm these days.

Make sure instruction is what you want to do. As has already been stated, professional training does not improve your own diving skills to speak of. Take a look at the 5thD-X videos on YouTube. Can you be that stable and quiet in the water? I think people who are in leadership positions ought to be able to do that.

NAUI Training Assistant? I assume you already have the Rescue cert.
The two paired together makes you a step below the NAUI assistant instructor and sort of an unofficial pro.
No annual agency fees to pay as well.

If you really want DM duties and the responsibilities that comes with it then I say go for it. It might make a nice retirement in the future.
Keep in mind though that you're basic skills should be stellar. You will be setting an example for divers and students alike. The training that comes with the DM class and the Instructor class is mainly leadership skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom