Where do you put your DSMB when using a long butt plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you put your butt mounted DSMB when using a long butt plate?

I am open for suggestions from people who have worked through where is goes. When I use the DiveRite buttplate the DSMB always seems to be in the way.

My other setup without the CarDoor handles, it fits fine, because there is no Door handle buttplate.

(FWIW, I am tropical so in the drysuit pocket does not work for me, since I have no drysuit, and often no wetsuit.)

You have a few choices: neoprene shorts with pockets works well or if you have the DR butt plate or I use a center mounted dring on my JT system on the crotch strap.

On the Hollis SMS100 I put two bungee loops under the buttplate, so that the carefully rolled DSMB sat against my arse. It worked really well.

Just putting together a new rib based around the OMS Profile.. I'm expecting to use a similar approach, but will let you know once I've dived it.

On the Hollis SMS100 I put two bungee loops under the buttplate, so that the carefully rolled DSMB sat against my arse. It worked really well.

Just putting together a new rib based around the OMS Profile.. I'm expecting to use a similar approach, but will let you know once I've dived it.

Just checking this:

By under do you mean between the door handle plate and your butt or do you mean dangling down below it (if you are standing upright)?

Just checking this:

By under do you mean between the door handle plate and your butt or do you mean dangling down below it (if you are standing upright)?

I used some of the mounting holes... knotted the bungee on the outside/top and put the loop through. The DSMB was sandwiched between the buttpad and my butt. It was really easy to deploy from there.

SMS100-SMB-Bungee-Mounting.jpg

I used some of the mounting holes... knotted the bungee on the outside/top and put the loop through. The DSMB was sandwiched between the buttpad and my butt. It was really easy to deploy from there.

View attachment 119696

Using a Transpac based system I started with it in that position, but that forced the top of the tank into my head, when I used it for BM. Now I have it dangling but it gets in the way of sitting down….

My other BCD (no door panels, just D rings) works with it just hanging below.

I wish I could try out a SMS to see if it worked better than the Transpac, but they are kind of pricey to find out if they would fit the same.

I've just finished with my DIY sidemount rig... and having to re-think DSMB stowage because there are no convenient holes in the butt-pad (pictures to follow)..and the crotch strap would trap it anyway. I'm thinking some bungee loops laterally on the side of the back-plate might work (I used to do this with backmount for my back-up DSMB)... but won't know how it works until I get rig wet next week.

With the Hollis, I didn't notice that the DSMB had any effect on the fit of the rig. If you ever get the chance to pop over to Subic, there's a dive op here that rents the Hollis and the Razor for trials.

Im very early into sidemount diving and have had the same problem.

The bigger problem was even drysuit pockets are an absolute PITA to get at so on the advice on one of the instructors up here, I went with a pouch that fits everything from my DSMB, to wetnotes, spools, backup stuff like that. Basically a large drysuit pocket on my arse.

Steve Bogaerts Razor Expandable Side Mount Pouch

I don't use the razor pouch as its a bit expensive and flimsy for what I want, but I got a pouch at one of the army stores on base here and attached some boltsnaps to it.

On the SMS100 which is what I have, I currently just clip it to the bottom of the door handles and it stays there, nicely out of the way, until I need it.

That's a great idea.

Uufortunately I use one of those OMS 10 foot mothers that will not fit in even the huge OMS zip pouch. I wonder if the Razor pouch is 'bigger' enough.

Maybe my whole problem is the size of my DSMB more than anything else, though it has lived in the butt of my Transpac without the buttplate, and my home-made SM rig for years, and I only even started having to futz with it after adding the butt plate to the Transpac, and I rally only notice it when diving BM with it.

Back
Top Bottom