Shouldn't a couch potato have a better RMV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Help me to stop exercising. The way I see it..... The more you work out, the more muscles you have, the more air you need to fuel the muscles. Where's the flaw? (I need to watch more TV...)

The more muscles you have, the less hard you have to work. The less hard you work the less CO2 you create. The less CO2 you create, the less you need to breathe to get rid of it.

Lay off the TV ... it rots your brain ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In a related concept, there are many divers that think that "smokers" can be good at using little air....that it is somehow an advantage to smoke.
I think it far more likely, that the cardio power is so low with smokers, that they are forced to use almost no exertion, and so swim slowly and carefully enough to stay within their drastically reduced aerobic abilities.....they end up using less air than many non-smoking divers, only because they absolutely do less muscle work--they have no choice.

If a situation comes up when the smokers need lots of cardio power, they will fail....having to help a diver in trouble, having to fight a big current, etc.

A very muscular and aerobic athlete that is so excited on a dive, that a large percentage of the muscle mass is constantly working/contracting, will waste lots of air....A very muscular and aerobic athlete that has become a good diver, will relax all non-essential muscles, and the pace of normal divers will be so easy for the athlete's muscles, this will be almost like absolute rest--and the pulse rate can be well below 70 bpm, with air consumption very low.

Help me to stop exercising. The way I see it..... The more you work out, the more muscles you have, the more air you need to fuel the muscles. Where's the flaw? (I need to watch more TV...)

And in other news, it has been determined that a high saturated fat/high cholesterol diet coats the red blood corpuscles and the vascular endothelium, thus decreasing the workload on the heart.

:doctor:

Nope, unfit.

I mean, what's tough about diving except getting back on the boat sometimes or the occasional current? Stop the exercising immediately and consume more fatty foods. You'll stay a lot warmer, need less weight with more fat and less muscle. Also, you won't have to worry about straining a tendon or muscle, things that could require you to not dive for a while. You are definitely wasting your time at the gym. Camp out at Wendy's, Dude.

It's not the amount or size of the muscles, it is the efficiency of the muscles. Basically the more aerobically fit you are the more efficient your muscles are at utilizing and burning oxygen. You actually work less and use less oxygen compared to an unfit couch potato.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom