Question about rough seas in Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dallaskincaid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I'm planning on heading out to the Keys on Sunday for a couple of days. I have two days of diving planned for Monday and Tuesday. The Marine forecast is calling for 5-8' seas and 20knot winds.

What is the likelihood that boats will still be going out for diving?

I just don't want to waste frequent flier miles and hotel points if I can't even dive!

Opinions would be appreciated! :wink:

D

So, I'm planning on heading out to the Keys on Sunday for a couple of days. I have two days of diving planned for Monday and Tuesday. The Marine forecast is calling for 5-8' seas and 20knot winds.

What is the likelihood that boats will still be going out for diving?

I just don't want to waste frequent flier miles and hotel points if I can't even dive!

Opinions would be appreciated! :wink:

D

Ahh south Florida in March. In like a lion out like a lamb. What I saw was 15-20 out of the east which can go either way. I am not sure where a 15-20 east wind forecast would create 5-8' seas, but that would be a bit fun.

I am sure some local operators will chime in accordingly...Maybe Key Largo would be a better choice all things considered?

That would depend on the direction of the swell,the swell interval ,and the direction of the wind. 5 to 8ft seas could be smooth swells or blustery ugly chop on top of the swells.
I would go a different time when better weather is forecast,the wind may not be a problem at 20 but the seas sound not fun with that wind over it.

IMHO, Seas should be around 2-4'. There was a report from a local boat this morning reporting good vis. I would hesitate to buy into that one, since there has been large wave action for a week now. This usually has an impact on the vis at least a few days after things settle down. Please remember I have no crystal ball and do not claim to be an expert. These thoughts come from local experience as a Captain in the area, nothing more. Good luck!

You're saying the seas should be 2-4' or that I shouldn't go out unless the seas ARE 2-4'? Little confused.

I think the best forecast source ( one that most boat captains will use ) is weatherunderground (wunderground.com). Also, may I suggest you call or email the shops or boats you are thinking of diving with, and ask them your question? They will have the correct answer and then you can plan accordingly. As far at the stated conditions: seas 5-8 feet, wind 20 knots, I have dove i those conditions, and, if you have the option of going a week or two later when the wind and waves are less, I would definitely wait.
DivemasterDennis

You're saying the seas should be 2-4' or that I shouldn't go out unless the seas ARE 2-4'? Little confused.

Sea conditions IMO should be 2-4'. The boats are running now with a bit bigger seas, today. I am referring to the Key Largo area. My concern would be possible surge and/or poor vis. Seas should be do-able IMO

DEFIANTLY call ahead as DM Dennis has suggested.

Yeah, I called one and e-mailed the other explaining my situation. They said the same thing, they went out today, beautiful diving on the Vandenberg..etc. I'm kinda bummed, I've really been looking forward to going. :(

Ahh another Marylander biting at the bit :) If I were spending the money to go,and had the option of making sure the weather conditions were good I would wait. If your profile is correct and you have been diving less than a year with < 24 dives again I would wait for good conditions. That being said I feel your pain !!!! Keith

I think the best forecast source ( one that most boat captains will use ) is weatherunderground (wunderground.com).

Weather Underground? Never heard of it. I don't know anyone who doesn't use NOAA, and most of us have a forecast we pay for, like Buoyweather. Sailflow is another excellent free source, they use different modeling than NOAA. Whatever source you use, average them all and that will get you pretty close.

I would not come Monday or Tuesday to Key West. If I were diving Monday or Tuesday, I'd do it in Key Largo. If my heart was set on Key West, I'd plan late April/May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom